The Cadets 2023

4 hours ago, Cadet Guardy said:

Given the draw order performance for the Cadets, I'm very happy with the judges scores - .3 under Phantom and Mandi was expected. You guys are a tough crowd so before you strike the confused emoji, hear me out.

I think both Phantom and Mani are good. While the crowd loves them both, I feel they have reached their peak - more more so Phantom than Mandi.

IF and only IF I'm right, the Cadets made a very strategic play in not performing changes in progress tonight, e.g., drums take over too much (maybe I'm wrong about this after seeing them 4th in percussion tonight), transitions work and HIGH impact drill at the end. If these changes take place and excited well, I'm sticking to my guns and saying Cadets take 5th. 

I am banking on Cadets to roll out changes I hope they have been working on. 

Let’s hear your take @Cappybara. Seems you have something to add?

The optimist in me says: " The 2nd tier is starting this run practically dead even"...Cadets percussion in taking 4th, is very encouraging...I still feel that there is more room for growth in this program..Some of the changes have already been mentioned and I look forward to next week to see if they'll be implemented..The pessimist in me says: " If PR and Mandarins GE scores stay higher( better use of props etc.) then it's a wrap..Cadets energy seemed a bit down last night..maybe it's me but, this show in it's current presentation NEEDS the energy to be high due to the extended percussion features and prop movement..When the brass is engaged, it's like coming home to a warm bath...Fortunately, I am the optimist, and the scores are rising with each performance, so carry on Cadets!...peace

Did anyone else notice the very uncharacteristic tear in the techno-ish drum feature (coming out of that beautiful ballad)? Half the horns were with the battery, half were with the FE? It was resolved within 48 counts or so, but it was the most glaring performance issue of the night from what I saw (I didn't catch everyone).  This moment alone could account for the score, imo, and it was probably a fluke.  

I was watching on Flo, High Cam.  

That being said,

1. I freakin' LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the changes made in the closer,
  2. I'm expecting an upgrade to the last set (???).  Even my wife is (she said, "what an odd form to end the show")!  
  3. The very first brass entrance of the show is still my favorite DC moment of the year so far.  They're all pumping oxygen from their exertions, the crescendo is masterfully done in the arrangement leading into it, and the form is just massive.  
  4. Second favorite part of the show is the HUGE full guard color-hit in the ballad.  Gets me every time.  And the ripple leading up to it is just... perfect.  AAA!

Edited by ranintothedoor
  • Like 5

Maybe I missed it but why is Allentown only one night and cadets aren't going to be there lol???

Allentown is always 2 nights.

16 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

Allentown is always 2 nights.

I know but flomarching lists only 1 night the 4th.

31 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

I know but flomarching lists only 1 night the 4th.

This is likely an error on Flo. It may be they are just listing it once as in to say "yes, we are covering DCI East." I don't know. Others have speculated on this too. But DCI East is 2 days. 

• Like 1

We’ve been talking about it in another thread. Flo makes one event listing for multi day events because whatever software they use sees the streams as one. 

If you’re obsessing over Flo, look at Indy. “World championships” is a single event on Thursday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

If you’re obsessing over Flo, look at Indy. “World championships” is a single event on Thursday. 

Thursday is apparently 96 hours long... 😄

• Haha 2