I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

3 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

What is public, or out in the open at least is that the entire Visual Staff was either fired or resigned in protest in the Spring of 2022.

I had no idea.  But it makes a lot of sense given the product on the field.  No way a happy vis design team comes up with and sticks with "Nirvana must be purple and white!" 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I had no idea.  But it makes a lot of sense given the product on the field.  No way a happy vis design team comes up with and sticks with "Nirvana must be purple and white!" 

IIRC one individual was fired / let go & rest of visual staff resigned in protest.  I don’t recall if a reason for the firing was posted on DCP. 

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IIRC one individual was fired / let go & rest of visual staff resigned in protest.  I don’t recall if a reason for the firing was posted on DCP. 

I remember reading the VCH's post about his termination, he said it was without warning or opportunity to change his approach. Here's a quote:

"I was recently placed under a non-criminal, third-party investigation about my workplace behavior and communication style with peers/colleagues. Prior to speaking with the investigator, I was never officially notified that I was under investigation, that these concerns existed, and not given any warning or opportunity for corrective behavior. While speaking with and asking questions to the third-party investigator, it was their view that the claims against me were non-fileable offenses, but rather highlighted a need for a better system of communication practices within the organization. However, the investigator's job was not to give a recommendation or determination on my employment status. That was 100% up to the Investigation Committee of VMAPA."

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

On social media, there's an SCV guard alum who is taking the scorched earth approach and flinging accusations of expensive settlements. Is there any way to back up their claims? - I totally understand if this comment feels like rumor mongering and needs to be removed.

Did you not understand the topic of this thread?

1 hour ago, contraguard05 said:

On social media, there's an SCV guard alum who is taking the scorched earth approach and flinging accusations of expensive settlements. Is there any way to back up their claims? - I totally understand if this comment feels like rumor mongering and needs to be removed.

Woof. Scorched earth. I'm sad but not surprised. I know many an angry alum. Makes me at the same time glad that I'm not on popular social media and sad that I can't be in dialogue with yet another of my brothers/sisters.

This is what can happen when you limit open discussion, whether bc of fear or something else. The guilt I feel is real.

Edit to add: And let me be clear, any alum who needs to get something off their chest publicly or privately has my support. I was bullied by a DCPer as recently as December for including part of my story in the SCV 2023 announcement thread. Of all people, I was essentially called insensitive for bringing my baggage to the party during such a somber moment. There's a reason we don't speak up. So I'm not critical of this alum... just sad.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Woof. Scorched earth. I'm sad but not surprised. I know many an angry alum. Makes me at the same time glad that I'm not on popular social media and sad that I can't be in dialogue with yet another of my brothers/sisters.

This is what can happen when you limit open discussion, whether bc of fear or something else. The guilt I feel is real.

Edit to add: And let me be clear, any alum who needs to get something off their chest publicly or privately has my support. I was bullied by a DCPer as recently as December for including part of my story in the SCV 2023 announcement thread. Of all people, I was essentially called insensitive for bringing my baggage to the party during such a somber moment. There's a reason we don't speak up. So I'm not critical of this alum... just sad.

Given what you're been through and the lengths to which you have tried to help, anyone trying to hush you should be banned from the forum.  We disagree a lot, but we don't tolerate suppressing people around here.  The first amendment carries a lot of weight with us old folks.

• Like 3

I couldn't help but think of VMAPA this evening while discussing responsibilities with my 14 yr old daughter.  She keeps trying to impress upon me that practicing guitar is more important than folding clean laundry. 

"But, we have to have 2 new trucks for tour!"

But if you buy them now, you won't HAVE A TOUR!!!

5 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

VMPA entered into these employment contracts willing in order to attract talent to live in an expensive area of the country. Now that they have had to buy out these contracts it is not the fault of those that received  them.  Have all of the settlements been made?   Probably not.  A contact is a contract that needs to be honored. Just another example of poor decision making over an extended period of time.

15 hours ago, craiga said:

For more than 20 years, during the lean times of the 80s into the 90s, the entire Boston staff taught without pay. Mostly BAC alums, our mission was to keep the corps alive no matter what. We actually had no money. At all. No hall, no trucks, no sponsors. But we never took a season off. The kids who were marching then are running Boston now. What will SCV do?

BINGO