Controversial shows

7 hours ago, DWW11 said:

IIRC, Crown’s show, Relentless, a while back had A LOT of fuss about the original ending, where the good guy shoots the bad guy. Entire ending was rewritten. Am I remembering this correctly?

I think the controversy was caused by the ending being rewritten.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I think 2011 was when the BD hate peaked, particularly after Atlanta that year. 

In 2011, BD by their standards came out of the gate slow that year consistently placing 3rd-4th. Around San Antonio they started picking up steam, and by Atlanta, BD and Cadets flew past the Cavaliers who till then was nearly two-pointing the field. 

When BD won Atlanta, DCP had a meltdown. I was stationed in Japan at that time, and i was sitting back laughing my butt off. Never in my life had I seen grown adults cry, whine, and get so worked up over a show performed by a bunch of high school/college kids. Reminded me of those parents who brawl at their six-year-olds tee-ball games.

But it's funny, cause now BD 2011 gets lots of love here on DCP, something I would have never predicted 12 years ago. 

One of my favorite BD shows❤️ Probably cause it's one of the few DCI shows on Spotify. House Is Not A Home has become so iconic for me lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DWW11 said:

IIRC, Crown’s show, Relentless, a while back had A LOT of fuss about the original ending, where the good guy shoots the bad guy. Entire ending was rewritten. Am I remembering this correctly?

Indeed, the change was seen by many on here as being "too woke." I'd be shocked if the Crown staff was trying to make commentary on gun violence but more likely trying to tell a more interesting story with a different emotion.

17 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I remember a few people taking exception to the Cadets doing a Patriotic show in 2002, which was the first DCI finals after 9/11.  

The exception wasn't to the patriotic nature of the show but the "pandering" nature of direct 9/11 imagery and the firehouse sirens directly across from the stadium.

One guy behind me (my first finals!) was a radio show host on the east coast (anybody know who I'm talking about?) who said in a very NY accent "I wanna stick my foot up Hopkins's @$$!" 

As for controversial, I'd say 05-08 Cadets were highly controversial for various reasons, mostly narration related. At least as controversial was Hopkins himself, who seemed to relish the controversy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Did we really have a thread about "1980s-style moral panic" without mentioning 1992 BD "When a Man Loves a Woman"?

I'm only familiar with the 2011 version. What happened in 1992?

45 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I'm only familiar with the 2011 version. What happened in 1992?

Nothing and people loved the show, but looking at it from today's eye creates a possible different view.

Honestly, that show is what helped elevate them back to championship caliber.