Hats, Helmets, Vaquero, Aussies or Whatever Need to Come Back

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not me, of course. One guy kept weed in his hat. 

Well of course. His dealer told him to keep it under his hat. That guy took it literally.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Hair was optional? 🙂

i wouldnt look good bald. one time i'm thankful for my DNA

• Haha 1

I generally favor headwear. Worn right, they hide the eyes, which adds mystery and a general overtone of bad-assery — like a western gunsligner whose flinty eyes are hidden in the shadow of the brim, only the glow of the cigarello visible.

Sheikos and buckets less so, but if the chain was worn right, it would add a degree of menace, which is something that I think is part of the secret sauce of drum corps.

That said, it's hard to imagine "Downside Up" with hats. Berets, maybe. Depends on what you want to achieve with the show effect.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

My college MB used busbys (busbies?). Hated them as had to hold your head totally straight or the heavy bleeping thing would pull your head down, or back or sideways or…

One fell off the stands and fell into a huge puddle. Found out how much water it could hold 😱

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:25 PM, cowboy0324@gmail.com said:

Other than the guard and pit, hats need to be part of the uniform/costume. The experiment has been tried and failed.  Hats give a sense of sophistication, style and intrigue. Without them the horns and field percussion look unfinished and ordinary. It actually just looks like a glorified dress rehearsal. 

Just my two cents.

The entire history of the Empire Statesmen disagrees with you. Vince Bruni saw back in 1983 that audiences connected better with performers whose faces were visible, and the corps never wore headgear as part of their uniforms for that reason.

• Like 4