When does it end with SCV??????

SCV not fielding a corps this year and all of the antecedents surrounding it have nothing to do with George Hopkins, and the topic isn't trivial.  

I just don't get why this couldn't be part of the bigger thread.  Starting a thread like this invites non-thinkers to pretend that the situation with SCV isn't a big deal.  Self-defeating if the goal is to stay on track about what's wrong with SCV as an org and what they're doing to fix it.  What are they doing, any news?

57 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Either way, people are paying close attention as they SHOULD be, and hopefully the org is taking that seriously. 

I'll keep saying it.

The defining nature of non profits is transparency whether they are good at it or not. They are supposed to be constantly under scrutiny, especially if their board has little to no administrative experience in the nonprofit world. (You simply cannot apply for-profit concepts to the nonprofit world and expect them all to work. The business models and their tax codes are different for very important reasons.)

The strongest nonprofits lean into that transparency factor hard and often reap the benefits, cause again, that's how they're supposed to operate. (Looking at you Boston and Colts, as they have the trappings of transparency from what I can read at a distance.) But even the strongest, and I've worked for some, are often plagued by high turnover and burnout that boards should be prepared for... as an example of what for-profit folks may not know.

Diminishing the comments of competent alum professionals in the military, nonprofit and education industries who scrutinize Vanguard only contributes to the problem. Not to mention it verges on gaslighting. 

Three alum in this thread have all claimed to work for the org in some capacity as well as having marched as badasses in some of your favorite corps. Some are former board members that enabled your favorite show. We've all also publicly disclosed that we've been in contact with leadership in the last year. 

Can other DCPers who cry witch hunt say that? If so, out with it and tell us where we're wrong with, like, facts and stuff.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
added note about Boston and Colts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The poster you're responding to has eerily claimed to know me in now-deleted comments without substantiation or followup. Who does that?

Grain of salt situation.

I claimed to know you? Details please. I never responded to you one bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I mean, are you saying it shouldn't be? A well loved and seemingly rock solid organization stumbles hard and goes inactive, at the same time shining a light on mismanagement and misbehavior by its highest levels of administration. Do you not think the organization should be under a microscope at this point? Especially when it has a history of sweeping controversies under the rug and moving forward without making necessary changes?

Honestly this is a great opportunity for the org. They have a chance to reevaluate their operations and culture and rebuild on a strong foundation. I think what people are concerned about, is they won't take advantage of the opportunity, and instead plow forward with the same policies that put them in this position to begin with. 

Either way, people are paying close attention as they SHOULD be, and hopefully the org is taking that seriously. 

Look at the reactions of Spirit and SCV.  Spirit went from being one of the worst offenders to being the leader in prevention and education.  SCV... just turned a deaf ear and a blind eye and said "Speak to the hand"... about abuse, questionable hiring practices, financial management, hanging MM's out to dry... the list is long.  They practically ASKED for all this spotlight and scrutiny with their horrible behavior.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I claimed to know you? Details please. I never responded to you one bit.

Not only have you responded to me in the past, but your harmful comments were deleted without a trace. That string of comments, initiated by you, ended in the ban of another member for attacking my mental health after a loved one just died, which I disclosed. (That loved one made quite the trek to see me perform in 04, by the way. It was the only time he saw me perform. Ever.)

Fortunately I brought receipts: https://postimg.cc/sMr8Lg5D

'Cause that's what I have to do to not be gaslighted on DCP by strangers who seem to only want to troll. I will not be responding to you in the future.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2

The only thing that would make all this stuff worse is if one of you on the inside said it was bad under Gail too. Because back in the day the class and excellence of SCV seemed second to none. That run they had in the 80s of what, four second place finishes in a row, then finally breaking through in 89, they were just soooo good. Now this. If they need to cut out the cancer to save the patient the do it. Like Cadets did. I also note there is a small number of apologists here. I remember Hop had his apologists too so that happens. 

I don't really know the details of what happened here, but I will give my opinion which none of you should really pay attention too, but hey, everyone else is doing it.  It appears that it was the majority of the group engaged in inappropriate conduct.  If it were one or two members sneaking some booze that might not be on the director, but when it is a large group it is a part of the allowed culture. If I were somewhere in the hiring authority at SCV I would terminate her employment just to set a standard that if a staff member were to allow this type of thing to happen at SCV they would be out. Hopefully this would encourage people to uphold the integrity of the corps.

• Like 2

Which all begs the question, what is VMAPA doing with regards to Ms. Bastante? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Which all begs the question, what is VMAPA doing with regards to Ms. Bastante? 

Has she given a statement on what happened? That would clarify a few issues here.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 3