DCI Central Indiana 2023

Sorry -- was away rewatching crown on hi cam!

It was weird to watch Crown after Phantom.  High energy vs. Darkness.  But my goodness is that darkness lush and beautiful.  You can see from the first 30 seconds of the show the level of training these performers already demonstrate.  This is going to be a powerful vehicle for Crown.  So very coordinated in all aspects.   Certainly not the "Spirit of Disney" corps anymore. Brass has no right to be playing with this much sophistication at the first performance.  Guard (performers and work) are just killing it.  Percussion (to this non-percussionist ears) is sophisticated and nuanced.   Love everything I'm seeing and hearing.  I can see lots of fans being disappointed in Crown not doing "Crown".  But I love it.   Drag me deeper into despair Crown.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 4

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Frankly, I think Crown's GE scores are too high. Phantom and Crown should be closer in score. 

I do agree. Phantom brought the house down tonight- while Crowns show is still a little flat.

Crown should definitely be ahead of Phantom- but I thought it would be closer

I also want to congratulate Crown for #1 in Percussion tonight. Usually a glaring weakness.

• Like 1

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Frankly, I think Crown's GE scores are too high. Phantom and Crown should be closer in score. 

The judges are right about this. Crown’s got a level of detail that heightens the theme and mood in ways that PR just isn’t matching right now. This show is a GE powerhouse I’m trying to tell you guys!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ThePlanets said:

I do agree. Phantom brought the house down tonight- while Crowns show is still a little flat.

Crown should definitely be ahead of Phantom- but I thought it would be closer

I also want to congratulate Crown for #1 in Percussion tonight. Usually a glaring weakness.

I found that interesting they won percussion, but I did notice Mr. Webb in front of the front ensemble quite a bit compared to trying to read through to the battery. Could have an impact. 

Crown needs to write a brass book that is interesting to listen to again. I can only deal with so many Arbans that go on for too long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I “don’t care about scores or placements” but I *do* care about being messy and starting trouble. 😛 So: Crown is going to beat BD this year. More than a hunch. The spirits are guiding me in this, and no not JUST the Blue Stars kinda spirits. 

What odds are you giving on that?

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

The judges are right about this. Crown’s got a level of detail that heightens the theme and mood in ways that PR just isn’t matching right now. This show is a GE powerhouse I’m trying to tell you guys!! 

That's my read too.  Crown has things they can draw out and highlight that are already on the field.  I think Phantom has the emotional energy but need to add to what they're doing to raise the nuance level of their theme.  And I sense this is simply early season and teaching approach philosophy differences.  We'll see where they shake out by season's end.

• Like 5