DCI Central Indiana 2023

I have listened to Regiment's ballad from last night no less that 15 times and ho lee chit, it's given me goosebumps and a lump in my throat every time. The last hit in the ballad needs a kick halt... The crowd in Indy would friggin lose it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

For many many years my Quintessential opener in all of Drum Corps was Santa Clara's Festive Overture from 1985. For over 2 decades when people would say "what would you play a newbie if you could only play one song in order to get them hooked?" I always said throw on 1985 SCV and watch the opener. Done!! 

Yep. Fantastic. I also loved when they did Russian Christmas Music. They did props when props weren't cool (and changed pants).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Some thoughts on Carolina Crown. First and foremost their performance captions in brass, percussion, and guard are OUTSTANDING in every way. Often known for having a very powerful brass line what may get overlooked in this show is just how warm and nuanced this brass line is. They have taken special care of these wonderful themes. The book is not filled with an abundance of scales, tonguing acrobatics just for the sake of showing off. And when they do show-off their technical abilities it is usually woven into the music as exciting transitions that lead to something impactful and they are handled with nuance and grace -- never forced. The playing of the Tristan und Isolde (Wagner) is brilliant with all those tritone suspensions resolving down a diatonic 2nd to the major 3rd. So beautiful. The soloists in the show are fabulous and none of it feels forced through use of mics (even if they are using mics). This is a clean and musical brass line and the percussion are doing a brilliant job of playing within that balance and knowing when they can take the lead. 

The staging of the show is very good. The uniforms are great, providing a nice contrast between the corps proper and guard. The main prop in the middle is used very effectively and it works. The drill is smart and not cluttered. It is very clear where they want you to look and this clearly helps the staging of the different elements in the show. The closer will likely have more impact as they tweak some of the ideas to bring this thing to a close, but as for now what they have on the field is a top-notch World Class show that should have them in contention for a World Title. The competition is fierce at that level. Blue Devils are the masters of staging and visual design and it's no secret their performance captions are always top notch. Bluecoats are innovative and bold and take major risks and the fans love that. Looking forward to seeing what they have this year. My read on Boston's brass and percussion from the concert in Boston is that they are potentially top 3 in their performance captions as well. They may be sporting the best Boston brass line ever and I love the music. So this will be a dog fight for sure...but there is absolutely no doubt Carolina Crown will have some say and they are ready to Rock n Roll with anyone. They should be amazing clean come Finals. Performance captions will be right there with anyone. To me it all comes down to how their overall General Effect scores grow and how the judges read the visual vs music. I absolutely LOVE this show. Bravo Carolina Crown!!!

In some ways this show gives me Phantom 2008 vibes.  Tells a story while demonstrating great technical ability.  We’ll see what they add over course of the season (hopefully not an app for the audience & British Broadcasting narration).  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In some ways this show gives me Phantom 2008 vibes.  Tells a story while demonstrating great technical ability.  We’ll see what they add over course of the season (hopefully not an app for the audience & British Broadcasting narration).  

and that they stay FARRRRRRRR away from fabric! lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCI Fan 9287928734 said:

I'm very close with one of the members of the Cavies. After the show, he said they are all totally exhausted from intense rehearsals. The show is kicking their butt. Also, he said many members were not pleased with their performance. I think they knew it was not their best. The morale in the corps is huge, though. They see this as a love letter to all 75 years of fellow Cavies and are really putting their heart into it. Give them time. This show is a beast, but once they clean it, it's gonna be magical. 

Personally, I'm glad to see a show without all the props. Very much like the recent Into the Woods revival on Broadway, it's stripped down and focuses on what really matters - the marching, the music, and the corps itself. Giant Sugar cubes are cool, don't get me wrong, but it will be interesting to see how this more classic, yet very modern take, will fair against the propfests of the other corps as they turn this thing into a well-oiled "Machine."

While not participating in the prop-fest, they are participating in the chop-and-bop-fest. Anyone else a little frustrated that just as you recognize a tune, they shift gears to another (or have multiple tunes overlaid? 

• Thanks 1

I've rewatched Crown a few times. Both in multicam and high cam. It still isn't pulling me, but I am noticing and appreciating the theatricality of the program and performance of the member. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, billj said:

While not participating in the prop-fest, they are participating in the chop-and-bop-fest. Anyone else a little frustrated that just as you recognize a tune, they shift gears to another (or have multiple tunes overlaid? 

It's not quite chop and bop. Cavaliers are using a lot of motifs from past music and they need to smooth those motifs into elegant transitions. Yes, it seems cluttered for now so that will throw the listener for a while. When they clean and smooth out these transitions and motivic calls to the past I think the music will be wonderful. If anything they have more to work out visually, but not like last year. They have more to work with this summer. This summer I suspect they will focus on how to bring the big visual moments into focus with the music. Much of this may be from subtraction of things not needed without having to rewrite so much of the visual. More like layering and fine tuning the visual into focus. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FLBuzcut said:

I'm not a qualified judge but I was in the stadium and I also do not understand Cavies beating Blue Stars in brass. BS sounded wonderful live; balance, articulation, tone, all top notch.  Cavies had some nice moments but a lot if it was rough.

more judging anomalies!!!!  I truly dont think the judges can wrap their mind around what they are actually seeing or hearing from the Blue Stars this year.  Everyone can see /hear it!!!   It is really inexcusable.!!!!!!!  especially the horn and MA scores and overall spreads ... Makes you wonder?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by brians
  • Haha 1