Getting the Colts logo off the 50 yd line for finals

8 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

That video is 10 years old, they have since replaced the turf with a new turf after the 2018 B1G championships turf failure. The logo is sewn into the carpet. B1G has their own custom turf that's rolled out for the title game.

The end zone panels get swapped out, but the rest of the field remains the same with just the mid field logo painted over for other major events:

https://uni-watch.com/2022/10/08/dyed-in-the-wool-turf-permanence-in-the-nfl/

After ten years of use (and one egregious tear from an Ohio State linebacker), Lucas Oil Stadium replaced its artificial turf in 2018. For the permanence of their field graphics, they chose a compromise solution. The football field lines are permanently dyed into the fibers, but the end zones are removable panels. Most of the time, they leave the blue “COLTS” end zones installed. But for non-Colts events, they can swap out for blank green end zones, which are far easier to paint.

That little bit of flexibility has paid off. Lucas Oil has since hosted the Big Ten Championship and the College Football Playoff National Championship in the same year (though they still had to paint over the Colts’ midfield helmet logo). 

Edited by rjohn76
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Can I say that I have never once actually cared or even really noticed the logo on the field during a show? I'm too busy focusing on the show.

Personally, the logo makes it more difficult for me to see the marchers and what they are doing visually, but maybe it's just me.

16 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

The city of Indianapolis and Marion County paid for the stadium and own & operate Lucas Oil Stadium and the Indiana Convention Center (and the new Soccer stadium under construction). The city will tell Irsay to pound sand

You mean the city he got to bend over backwards with tax breaks and deals to build the stadium or he'd take the team somewhere else as he reminded him how they GOT the Colts in the first place.    uh huh.  

38 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

The city of Indianapolis and Marion County paid for the stadium and own & operate Lucas Oil Stadium and the Indiana Convention Center (and the new Soccer stadium under construction). The city will tell Irsay to pound sand

Irsay is a jerk. I would love to see that happen. 

14 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

So like...who in DCI can make an NFL owner give up free advertising for three days and all the social media clips thereafter?  

and the Colts in many years have a preseason game there the next day

• Like 1

I thought I had a DCI Finals pic where there wasn't a Colts logo. Each year I take a photo of the field to show the view from whatever seat(s) I have that year. Been doing that since 2017, so I guess the logoless field was before that. 

Can anyone help out?

I believe that the year that LOS hosted the Superbowl the on-field logo was different.

28 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I thought I had a DCI Finals pic where there wasn't a Colts logo. Each year I take a photo of the field to show the view from whatever seat(s) I have that year. Been doing that since 2017, so I guess the logoless field was before that. 

Can anyone help out?

2011 it wasn't there. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

2011 it wasn't there. 

Yep -- I found the photos I took with my Nikon.  2011 was without the logo, but it was back for 2012, 2013, and 2014 (in my photos).

On 7/19/2023 at 1:37 AM, greenland said:

Perhaps it is time to have a DCI finals without the Colts logo dominating the field during finals. It tak. es away from the performing corps, videos, and general scenario. It is almost as though you guys can do your thing, however you will know we are omnipresent. Considering the Crowds and $$ that DCI infuses into Indy we could have one night when the field is ours.

It's sewn into the turf.