Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

Battle for 12th will be intense!  Let's go PC!

Also, go get em Mandarins!

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

For sure! I’m not sure there’s room for PR to climb any higher than 5th this year. But this show is an absolute killer! Designers did their work this year. My absolute favorite PR show in many years. The marching members have to be digging performing this one!

They have their buicks back. That big fat Regiment pyramid of sound is killer this year. Love it!

Blown Away Guy”: The Most Iconic Music Image of All Time ...

• Like 2

OT: I went to see the Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny last night. Not a bad film. I recommend it but don't expect the the greatness of movies 1 & 3 in the series. The movie has  a neat story line and some action-packed scenes. The place they end up near the end of the movie is a real shocker and catches you off guard. The cinematography is tremendous here and it is through most of the film. By the way, the John Williams soundtrack is wonderful. He did write some new themes for the film and at times it feels more bombastic. Many of the old motifs do make an appearance through out...and he does it so well. Really great stuff. As the final credits come up you get a nice rendition of the Raiders March from the first film. 

Enjoying some Starbucks Coffee and writing some field drill for a few local bands (non competitive groups) here in NE Ohio while I wait for the all-day festival of drum corps to stream live from San Antonio. One of these years I need to take a mini-vacation and fly out to Texas for a few shows including the DCI SW Regional. 

I like the Blue Devils to win this show but I think we are in for a treat with the competition between 2-4, 5-7, 8-11, and the battle for 12 and on. It will be interesting to see how Blue Knights do. I was not wild about them early but I have really enjoyed their show of late and I think they are beginning to find their footing. Brass need to lock in and tune better but they definitely project. I am interested to see how Troopers do. Such a polished and fine show. The Cadets have a much earlier time. They will have to impress the judges because even if they have had better scores than some of the corps going on after them...this is the time of the year where these units begin to find their footing and look to make a move. Cavaliers lost to Cadets by 3.1 at their last meeting, but then Cavaliers cut their deficit with Mandarins (who also beat them by close to 3 points) to about 1.5 points. The Cavaliers definitely have a show that can make a move. Brass and visual need much work as does the timing of various show elements. But that percussion section for Cavaliers is undeniably AMAZING! We shall see what happens tonight. The top 4 should be fantastic for sure. All have different and unique shows and I pretty much love them all. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

You're such a positive person

Let me guess...it's because I made a guess about the Colts placing above the Blue Stars, today? It could happen, and it actually might. Prediction posts aren't life or death...they are just guesses. No need for undies to be bundled. :laugh:

Just now, corps8294 said:

Let me guess...it's because I made a guess about the Colts placing above the Blue Stars, today? It could happen, and it actually might. Prediction posts aren't life or death...they are just guesses. No need for undies to be bundled. :laugh:

Or youve been saying it every day for the last 2 weeks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Will it be the Crossmen?  [I kid...they had a real string of semifinals electronics mishaps for awhile there though]

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Triggered

55 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

There were some really scary moments there. Yeah.  

Semis 2014. 1.0 pts in penalties. One-tenth more and Colts would have tied them for twelfth. Two-tenths and they're out of finals altogether.

From Mike Boo's 2015 Semis roundup:

'Another tight placement existed around the cutoff for Finals. Crossmen made it into 12th place by only 0.075 over Troopers—less than a tenth. Crossmen was penalized 1.40 for being overtime due to starting late because of electronics issues.'

Edited by mfrontz

6 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Semis 2014. 1.0 pts in penalties. One-tenth more and Colts would have tied them for twelfth. Two-tenths and they're out of finals altogether.

From Mike Boo's 2015 Semis roundup:

'Another tight placement existed around the cutoff for Finals. Crossmen made it into 12th place by only 0.075 over Troopers—less than a tenth. Crossmen was penalized 1.40 for being overtime due to starting late because of electronics issues.'

To paraphrase Rondo - ‘Live by the electronics,  die by the electronics’

• Like 2
  • Haha 1