Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Sorry if someone addressed this in an earlier post but with thousands of comments I might have missed part of the conversation.

I noticed (but forgot about) Troopers don't have their sun prop activated the entire time like they did early season.  I think it's effective to turn it on and off to emphasize transitions between musical sections.

What say you?  Why did Troopers change the way the sun prop is used?

I noticed it and was actually upset. I understand people’s sentiment about it being “distracting” I found it to be the opposite. The constant turning of it was like the relenting, constant, pounding heat that sun produces. And when you’re out on the desert, there’s no relief from it. So I appreciated the constant rotation as it was that kind of reminder that it’s there just pounding away and you’re exhausted and tired and wanting it to stop. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, arabica said:
2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Cadets are historically synonymous with late season surges (snip)

Sadly, it’s easily been 14 years since this was true. If anything, Cadets have have more recently had the opposite problem, coming into Finals and dropping over the next few nights.

Yikes, too much information! I know you're right.

Fortunately, being a drum corps fan enables one to continue to hold out eternal hope for a late season surge despite reality.  🙏  😎

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

All I know is I was most pleased with every show last night. It's easy to talk the numbers, the captions and all that competitive stuff, but in the end everyone was really good. I was floored by Guardians. I loved Genesis. I think Madison has really cleaned up their show and I am really enjoying their brass sound and style. Spirit was amazing. Pacific Crest is possibly making a run for top 12. Yes! Colts and Troopers are killing it with great shows. Cavaliers not only have an all-world percussion section but I love their show music as well. With more cleaning and some musical nuance and they should light-up the house at Finals. Cadets, Phantom, and Mandarins are just incredible. Seeing Mandarins in the top 5 come mid-season is a joy. Back in my day (1980s) who would have thought that. Of course they were always a really good Open Class corps. 

And the top 4...not one bad show in there. Yes, the vaunted Blue Devils remain the standard for excellence, but Boston and Bloo and Crown all have outstanding products. Nothing to complain about. 

It's easy sometimes, in the heat of competition and scores, to say things like "their guard is holding them back, or their percussion is holding them back, or they don't have the GE." Yet if you're in the top 12, heck top 17 in this activity I know just about every college marching band director would take those brass lines, the percussion sections, the guards, and on and on. So yes, we can still be competitive and root for our favorites but don't lose sight of the bigger picture. There are going to be a lot of standing ovations come Finals. It is a great year for DCI. 

This is absolutely a great year for DCI and I’ve said it many threads, DCI needed this many corps to be this good this year. It’s what can save DCI. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yikes, too much information!  😞

Fortunately, being a drum corps fan enables one to continue to hold out eternal hope for a late season surge despite reality.  🙏  😎

What I wouldn’t give for this to be the case again for The Cadets! 🙌

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

MAJOR kudos and respect to all the performers! I am still a DCI mom, although my son aged out of SCV some years ago. I, too am bursting with pride as he is on staff with Mandarins and trust me….the texts and phone calls are also thrilled and celebratory! What an amazing summer for members and staff!! 

My wife and I appreciate your son so much! We attended family day last month, and aside from the amazing show, the thing we talked about the most is the Mandarins staff, and how the kids just love and respect them. 

Watching the staff interact with the kids, it resembled going to a Blue Devils rehearsal, and that is a good thing. 

Shout out to your son and rest of the amazing Mandarins staff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think people take for granted how weird some of these corps and their styles already are…

Like - Bloo’s show is objectively strange. It’s not strange for Bloo right now, but who else is doing what they’re doing? I get wanting them to change things up, but I’ve noticed that we only really seem to demand this of the corps that have already proven themselves to be forward thinking and are now comfortable in their style. I totally get asking corps like Bloo and BD to think even further outside of the box and abandon their formulas, but honestly, why is it always on them? 

I’m not asking for them to reinvent themselves, it’s more about the shows and the programming of those shows not really introducing much in terms of innovation or difference. This year many groups have round stages or metal framing. That’s been the trend for years. Foldable and angle-changing props for BD. I’m thinking more in terms of that stuff than formula for “weird being Bloo” and “BD is going to always do the same formula” if that makes sense.

also I am not only addressing the Bluecoats and BD. I’m talking top to bottom. Everything in between

Edited by kinetic inferno11

12 minutes ago, arabica said:

Sadly, it’s easily been 14 years since this was true. If anything, Cadets have have more recently had the opposite problem, coming into Finals and dropping over the next few nights.

I agree it has been a while since we’ve seen a late season surge by Cadets, last year they did hold their own throughout the season, vastly different from the previous judged season in 2019. I predicted 5th when I first saw the show live, and thought maybe Phantom might be a challenge. I didn’t expect Mandarins to pack such a punch. I did think Cadets show had potential and it did have a feel as if the best is yet to come, but they have to keep things from stalling. This week’s shows and Atlanta will be important for Cadets. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I appreciated the constant rotation as it was that kind of reminder that it’s there just pounding away and you’re exhausted and tired and wanting it to stop. 

Yeah this is my sentiment, too. It reinforced the unrelenting Sun. That said, I could appreciate Troop giving it a few minutes before setting it in motion. I took it as an assertion of the quality of the performance -- less of a crutch. But I wouldn't mind seeing it spin from the first note until it is finally lassoed.

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think people take for granted how weird some of these corps and their styles already are…

Like - Bloo’s show is objectively strange. It’s not strange for Bloo right now, but who else is doing what they’re doing? I get wanting them to change things up, but I’ve noticed that we only really seem to demand this of the corps that have already proven themselves to be forward thinking and are now comfortable in their style. I totally get asking corps like Bloo and BD to think even further outside of the box and abandon their formulas, but honestly, why is it always on them? 

I would love for Bluecoats to do a show along the lines of Tron. Doesn't have to be Tron but something along that type of vibe. I just think that type of show with their 2015 type production would just be insane and something Bluecoats could pull off so well.