Crum-ble on the hill in Allentown - August 4, 2023

Just now, skevinp said:

Which makes no sense to me, because one set of corps has an additional day to practice.  

And judges don’t get to adjust ordinals from the corps from the day before like they get to do in single day competitions

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Which makes no sense to me, because one set of corps has an additional day to practice.  

Judges not able to change caption scores for corps judged on Friday based on what they see on Saturday should be part of the discussion also. 

Whoops.  Just noticed Cappybara's post on the same subject.

Edited by TOC
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Congratulations to Troopers, who logged their highest score of the DCI era tonight.

>"<

Yes. 1973 Finals was 86.15 and 2nd place.

2 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Yes. 1973 Finals was 86.15 and 2nd place.

1985 dci finals

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

And judges don’t get to adjust ordinals from the corps from the day before like they get to do in single day competitions

You mean they have to actually manage numbers on their sheets??

27 minutes ago, Sideways said:

You mean they have to actually manage numbers on their sheets??

“Managing” numbers just means making compromises that aren’t necessary to make. 

• Like 1

Just my observation from a few subjects coming up.

A) if a corps scores higher than BD tonight you can make the argument that you have caught up, narrowed the gap...that kind of thing. You can say corps X has the highest score to date. You cannot say you are now beating BD or that BD has been defeated. Only Head to head determines that. Unless you defeat a corps head to head you have not won. 

B) you can draw some conclusions from the two days of DCI East. But as others have said one set of corps get an extra day to practice. It's two different shows on different nights. 

C) it does seem we may have a race for the title down the stretch run. I did not see the show due to gigs. Was BD on fire or was it an average performance by their standards? Same for Bloo. 

It is exciting when things tighten up. Sounds like it was a big crowd too from what @Jeff Ream mentioned. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

“Managing” numbers just means making compromises that aren’t necessary to make. 

Rank then rate…that means leaving sufficient space.  By definition judges should be making hard decisions…giving that .05 isn’t already compromise enough??  

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Heh. Sure. If BD doesn’t win I’ll eat my hat. And I don’t even own a hat. I’d have to go out and buy one, then eat it. That’s how confident I am. 

I'm sure you can get a cool red one from Mandarins if you want. But it'll just be to wear cuz I'm confident you won't have to eat it.