Wow, no one wants to discuss VANGUARD?

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

2003 has been mentioned a couple of times here so I'll share some positive lore... it was my rookie year... 🙏🏽 to @Jeff Ream and @gak27.

That show was a dang goat rodeo. The second we thought we had that opening drill down, we'd enter a new stadium and everything went out the window due to new acoustics. I'll never forget the mess that Denver was... and what it felt like to tear that opener and then find each other again after the first impact. Can't stop a freight train easily or suddenly, we just had to learn to deal. I liked watching our DM sweat and hopelessly flap his arms when that happened. The pit became our metronome in those cases.

Oh man, that show is absolutely killer.  Got to see y'all in Leander that summer, and it was hella impressive.  I will die on this hill - that might be the best *arranged* battery in DCI history.  Seriously - that was peak Casella and Gusseck.  The drum-only recording is on youtube, and if you just start it and sit back, you can literally hear the brass melodies echoed in the drums throughout the whole show.  It's absolutely incredible how tightly the brass and drums are wound together - so cooooooooooool.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

2016 – Classic Vanguard from start to finish; the intro to the opening hit was – in my mind – perfect.

I was going to add this in my underrated category. One of my favorite JD Shaw books ever. It's a four seasons show, but it's so much more sophisticated than that. 

• Like 3

No love for 1973? Groundbreaking stuff. 

13 hours ago, kdaddy said:

This may be a question/conversation for a different thread... I may have heard this before, but I don't remember: was the plan always to repeat Phantom of the Opera in 1989? Or did they explore some other options but wind up repeating? 

I am not sure what the real story is but I know they had to pay a boatload of cash to get the rights to arrange and the mechanical license for the DCI recordings. Keep in mind that Phantom had only just hit Broadway in 1986 or 1987, so for SCV to be doing a full show on that musical was almost unheard of at that time. Given the money they likely spent, if I was Gail Royer I would have opted to do a second year of Phantom just to get my money worth. Of course both are great shows though I was more partial to the 1988 version. This is likely due to having seen it live and just being overwhelmed by the music. That first impression always stays with you. 

13 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I actually prefer 1988.

I know, I know. I'll see myself out.

I'm with you, and I think they should have won in 88, which most likely would have lead to Regiment winning in 89. This is how I would have preferred it to play out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

No love for 1973? Groundbreaking stuff. 

Groundbreaking. And a bit….. harsh on the ears. (Sorry). I do understand that in the context of the era that’s what everyone did. Well, except Ms. Opie’s horn line from Kansas. Talk about groundbreaking!  But I digress. Sorry again. Twice in one post. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Oh man, that show is absolutely killer.  Got to see y'all in Leander that summer, and it was hella impressive.  I will die on this hill - that might be the best *arranged* battery in DCI history.  Seriously - that was peak Casella and Gusseck.  The drum-only recording is on youtube, and if you just start it and sit back, you can literally hear the brass melodies echoed in the drums throughout the whole show.  It's absolutely incredible how tightly the brass and drums are wound together - so cooooooooooool.

Mike

Neener neener. I sat on the drum bus and got to hang out with the cats making that possible. The pit woke us up with their playing on a few occasions in 03 and swear it sounded like angels were among us.

You're absolutely right though. 03 and 04 were peak for that team and I'm incredibly lucky to have been around for it. Never thought otherwise or took it for granted.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

That was peak SCV percussion writing. The amount of detail and layering they were doing was unheard of at that time, and really shaped the direction of front ensemble writing specifically for the next era. of drum corps. 

This is why when front ensembles now are just playing unison or two-voice textures, it just sounds flat and boring. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

That was peak SCV percussion writing. The amount of detail and layering they were doing was unheard of at that time, and really shaped the direction of front ensemble writing specifically for the next era. of drum corps. 

This is why when front ensembles now are just playing unison or two-voice textures, it just sounds flat and boring. 

giphy.gif