Carolina Crown 2024

8 hours ago, nsxanax said:

AM

Working my way down a backlog of official DCI audio that I never got a chance to listen to - 2019 Crown is probably the best music book of the entire year.  Funny enough, it's also probably one of the most "old school" in structure too.  That closer is amazing.

Of course.

The detail of the pattern is movement😉

I liked it. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 1:29 PM, NewArpege said:

RHRN had an excellent book top to bottom. I understand why it was thematically controversial, but that music was fire 🔥 

Musically both design and execution have been consistently excellent for a very long time. RHRN, Spacepants show,  choose your "miss" : they were all visual blunders.  Hell 2010 was a design blunder (spend massive amounts of time of unjudged part of show and then put performers in impossible listening positions.  Musically that show was fabulous but was undercut repeatedly by frankly ridiculous staging.  Visually under Rick Subel they were ... what's the word ... amorphous?.   The visual design was there but no one was quite sure what it was.   Also (just personal opinion here) Rick doesn't "get" outdoor the way he does indoor; and that's no indictment of Rick's abilities.  There are a LOT of indoor designers who just don't seem to get outdoor (again IMHO mostly because they can't stand to "lower" themselves to being obvious.  Football fields need obvious.)  

And so Crownies are repeatedly left hoping and praying that this year the visual design excellence will match the musical design excellence.  Heck even the "old" visual team missed as often as they hit.    

Edited by karuna
  • Like 8

On 3/4/2024 at 11:10 AM, karuna said:

Musically both design and execution have been consistently excellent for a very long time. RHRN, Spacepants show,  choose your "miss" : they were all visual blunders.  Hell 2010 was a design blunder (spend massive amounts of time of unjudged part of show and then put performers in impossible listening positions.  Musically that show was fabulous but was undercut repeatedly by frankly ridiculous staging.  Visually under Rick Subel they were ... what's the word ... amorphous?.   The visual design was there but no one was quite sure what it was.   Also (just personal opinion here) Rick doesn't "get" outdoor the way he does indoor; and that's no indictment of Rick's abilities.  There are a LOT of indoor designers who just don't seem to get outdoor (again IMHO mostly because they can't stand to "lower" themselves to being obvious.  Football fields need obvious.)  

And so Crownies are repeatedly left hoping and praying that this year the visual design excellence will match the musical design excellence.  Heck even the "old" visual team missed as often as they hit.    

Sounds bout right.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned they are going to get 4th place yet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Okay, I’ll fall on one of the first grenades of this incipient season. 

Let’s at least wait until Crownies have had few weeks of second guessing, self flagellation, and mindless recriminations.

After the show premiere…

17 hours ago, Vuitton said:

I’m sure most posters will place Crown fourth (or lower) in the predictions thread. But I’ll be honest and say last season was significantly more enjoyable for me because I tuned all that stuff out for the most part. I can only speak for myself but obsessing over scores, placements and spreads kinda kills the fun. 

• Like 8

On 3/10/2024 at 9:30 AM, crownisking said:

I’m sure most posters will place Crown fourth (or lower) in the predictions thread. But I’ll be honest and say last season was significantly more enjoyable for me because I tuned all that stuff out for the most part. I can only speak for myself but obsessing over scores, placements and spreads kinda kills the fun. 

4th place in the annual predictions thread is reserved for BD. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4