DCI's Next Director

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The down side is that he doesn’t know the history of Drum Corps, former leaders now revered or despised, etc.  Which may let some try another G7 move, or other self-serving initiative

IOW he doesn’t know who not to turn his back on…. 😱

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

look what Ted Swaldo built in Ohio

And Bill Cook in Indiana. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And Bill Cook in Indiana. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing Fran. Find out your needs and then hire great people to fill those needs. Run the part you know and manage the people who run the other parts to ensure alignment. No one person is an island.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing Fran. Find out your needs and then hire great people to fill those needs. Run the part you know and manage the people who run the other parts to ensure alignment. No one person is an island.

I sometimes have wondered what Mr. Cook... a total gentleman and hugely successful business person... might have been thinking in those DCI meetings when Star was around, listening to some directors, whose corps could barely pay their bills, pontificating on how DCI should be run. LOL. "Get me outta here!!!" 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:57 PM, Jeff Ream said:

wide right eh?

THE LACES WERE IN! THEY WERE IN!!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I sometimes have wondered what Mr. Cook... a total gentleman and hugely successful business person... might have been thinking in those DCI meetings when Star was around, listening to some directors, whose corps could barely pay their bills, pontificating on how DCI should be run. LOL. "Get me outta here!!!" 😂

I would hope it would have been more like “let me help them, show them a better way”.  

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 3:54 PM, LabMaster said:

I would hope it would have been more like “let me help them, show them a better way”.  

My understanding is that is exactly what he did. There was a change in the way many corps were managed after he came on the scene and while you don’t hear him credited as much today, fifteen to twenty years ago his business management suggestions were quoted all the time. He was pretty open about what corps needed to do to thrive. Also like many successful leaders he knew what he didn’t know regarding drum corps and learned from those who could teach him. 

• Like 4