Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s it Ace Holleran. Miss the humor DCN would print at times

great guy. loved his reviews too, and yes, he now lives near his favorite campground amusement park Knoebels he wrote about with OLOSVC

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

TY.  I would have lost what little mind I have left trying to remember his name. 

I finally remembered (I think) “Our Lady of the Single Valve (OLSV) Cadets”. So many corps of the era were called Cadets so why not Cadets. 😆

Wonder if Ace did the review of 1975 Dream show that said Roosevelt Stadium was “the land that time forgot”. Chief Judge Walt Kelly chases dinosaurs off the field with his starters pistol. A real tornado takes the Hurcs away, etc.

Sorry mods can’t make this on topic

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 8:09 PM, TOC said:

Are they photos from this year?   Hmmm.

Discussions on Reddit suggests that percussion turnout has been good, but brass are lacking.   Also, perhaps 30 (SCV) vets total Corps-wide. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Clarity
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder if Ace did the review of 1975 Dream show that said Roosevelt Stadium was “the land that time forgot”. Chief Judge Walt Kelly chases dinosaurs off the field with his starters pistol. A real tornado takes the Hurcs away, etc.

I had about 2 inches of mud on my Caballero bell-bottoms from trudging up and down the 50 (snare line) at that show. I'm surprised I kept both shoes from being sucked up into the slop. It might have been '74. Hard to remember.

• Haha 3

Some talk about camp turnout in this thread. Also curious about this "low heel" technique and how safe it is to teach and execute. Anyone know?

Return of SCV
byu/x_v_58 indrumcorps
Also rumors of SCVC return in the future? https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/18ihswx/comment/kdf599d/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Edit: links from reddit are being weird
Edited by scheherazadesghost
so many typos
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I finally remembered (I think) “Our Lady of the Single Valve (OLSV) Cadets”. So many corps of the era were called Cadets so why not Cadets. 😆

Sorry mods can’t make this on topic

Ace left drum corps for many years playing percussion for several rock bands, getting a bunch of recording gigs. he came back to drum corps in the late 80's or so. in a thread more on topic i'll gladly tell all i know as we got to be friends.

and i remember his reaction to SCV 94....."#### me"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Discussions on Reddit suggests that percussion turnout has been good, but brass are lacking.   Also, perhaps 30 (SCV) vets total Corps-wide. 

They’re probably skeptical.  You can’t really blame them after last year right about now if memory serves. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re probably skeptical.  You can’t really blame them after last year right about now if memory serves. 

Edited by Tim K

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

They're advertising or recruiting for more students to audition for brass on their social media accounts, so somethings up... 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Most young people auditioning for SCV were probably sophomores in high school or younger when SCV last fielded a competitive corps. For most of us, 2019 was not that long ago. For kids that age, it’s ancient history. Add to the mix Mandarins will have a strong appeal. Your very good high school and college music staff with connections to the corps might be able to send talent in SCV’s direction, but I would think it would be a tough sell and where parents so often pay the bill, that’s another hurdle.

2022?

Edited by mcjordansc
  • Like 1