DCI 2024 SCHEDULE

On 11/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, craiga said:

I think the first New England show this year might be in Connecticut, with several all age corps in competition as well. I am not expecting any Massachusetts shows until Lawrence right before Allentown.  There was some early talk of that show featuring BD, SCV and Troopers along with BAC(which would be a nice little show, obviously) but I also heard later on that BD was not sure.

And yeah, while it is easy to wax nostalgic about "local" or "regional" touring, that is easier said than done these days.  The other day, I posted about having a full slate of local corps in Massachusetts back in the day. As an example, I remember back in 1980 rehearsing with BAC on Sunday mornings at the East Boston Stadium.   When we finished around noon, North Star would be pulling in for the afternoon block, followed by 27 later in the day.  This doesn't even include Alliance or the Defenders.   JurassicLancer, do you remember this?

I well remember all those corps.  But going back 20 years to 1960, it was much different.  Then, between the two major circuits, CYO and Eastern Mass, there were 12  Class A corps, equivalent to today’s World Class corps, in greater Boston.  They were St. Kevin’s Emerald Knights, Dorchester; Cambridge Caballeros; St. Mary’s Cardinals, Beverly; St. Mary’s Majestic Knights, Charlestown; Immaculate Conception Reveries, Revere; Immaculate Conception Rockettes (all girl, as it was defined back then), Salem; Gatesmen, South Boston; Holy Trinity Cadets, Boston; Braintree Warriors; Sir Thomas Moore Cadets, Braintree; St. Rose Scarlet Lancers, Chelsea; and the Boston Crusaders.  During the sixties 6 of those corps (St. Kevins, Crusaders, Caballeros, Cardinals, Majestic Knights and St. Rose) at least once placed in the top 10 at the VFW Nationals, then the most prominent national championship, and the Reveries came close twice.  The sixties is my favorite drum corps decade, and I saw all of these corps in local competition.  Those were the days!

• Like 3

The schedule this year seems very… light in terms of corps per shows. Also MBI was supposed to do field competition but they aren’t on all age.

I’m appreciative that the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is still getting three shows next summer. Even if the third show is a little slimmer than usual. I’m definitely disappointed that the Blue Devils are once again skipping the Dallas area on their Texas tour. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

WOW!  Innovations in Brass: Canton   

It’s in august, which is when the NFL Hof enshrinement ceremony is…

This one interests me as I live in Myrtle Beach.

Brass at the Beach, July 5, TBD, SC

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA
Carolina Crown - Fort Mill, SC
Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
Heat Wave - Tampa Bay, FL
Music City - Nashville, TN
Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

Is anyone on here involved with the planning of this show? Any event in SC that refers to the beach is typically in the Myrtle Beach area.  Quite a few years ago they were trying to bring a show to the Coastal Carolina U stadium.

• Like 1