Cadets and bankruptcy

On 4/3/2024 at 12:02 PM, Slingerland said:

Cadets' membership was revoked earlier this year. That was the statement.  What more could anyone at the DCI level add to what was all but a foregone conclusion 6 months ago.

A statement that the membership was revoked and why.  A declaration of commitment to safety.  An explanation of DCI's values and what the activity actually stands for.  A demonstration of public leadership from the top down of what their priorities are and what member corps are required and and expected to do to protect minors and young adults.  

Off the top of my head.  Sorry for the angry soapbox.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

A statement that the membership was revoked and why.  A declaration of commitment to safety.  An explanation of DCI's values and what the activity actually stands for.  A demonstration of public leadership from the top down of what their priorities are and what member corps are required and and expected to do to protect minors and young adults.  

Off the top of my head.  Sorry for the angry soapbox.

Mike

Seeing as they are currently included in the lawsuit, it makes sense to not say anything. 

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

I can only imagine he had a show scripted out and entitled…”His name is George, and this is what he said.”

Only time I heard him talk was at a pre season exhibition show at Gettysburg sponsored by the local Brass Band Festival. If he didn’t talk longer than the corps played, it was close. People around us were saying “Cadets are only part of the show so wth?” and “George we came to hear the corps”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

39 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Apologies - this isn't really aimed at you, but it absolutely did not come out of nowhere.  There were literal decades of people alleging abuse, but everyone continued this weird social media "can't name names or provide details, or I might get sued" code of conduct.  I remember reading this stuff on RAMD, pre DCP.  The allegation was literally sent to DCI, who essentially responded with "well, what do you want us to do about it?"  It was sent to the Board, (IIRC), who took the settlement request as a threat.  The abuse was systemic and pervasive, and it absolutely defies belief that no other single adult, including some that are very much mandated reporters, ever saw a thing until it became national news.  The only reason this all didn't happen sooner was because these women were almost all convinced that they didn't want to "hurt the organization" at the expense of their own welfare.  

Mike

Why does this all sound so familiar? 😞

Edited by scheherazadesghost
this is rhetorical and intended to draw parallels
  • Like 1

Edit: just told sovie company is a third party. Not a lawyer so can’t answer question.

If Cadets assets are frozen because of the bankruptcy….

why is there a link to buy Cadets souvenirs on Facebook (Museum of Drum Corps History group). 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If Cadets assets are frozen because of the bankruptcy….

why is there a link to buy Cadets souvenirs on Facebook (Museum of Drum Corps History group). 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻

Was it put up today?

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Hopefully you will see this before you sign off, but I want to thank you for all the 990 analysis some years back.   You pointed a bunch of us the right direction on how to follow the money.  

I wish you fair winds and following seas. 

I appreciate the kind words and recollections of, now, a decade or longer ago.  My, time flies even as things in drum corps look pretty much the same.

I always thought it would be fun and interesting to do a 10-yr follow up to see if any 990s showed a significant difference but now I think I'll let someone else take that ball.  I know a few that would differ greatly: SCV and Cadets being among the most-easy to guess.

I've generally been satisfied checking in to the activity a few times a year just to see if anything worthwhile strikes me, instead of a daily immersion into all-things-drum corps.  I appreciate the fair-travel wishes but mine's actually centered on little turbulence and landing safely.  When I'm in "home port" I'll likely stop by to read some of my favorite posters here.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Was it put up today?

It was up yesterday but just told third party company. Not a lawyer so can’t explain it