DCI & Walmart Health Collaboration

4 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I wonder if they would let corps use Sam's Club as well?  Costco next?

Most corps have a membership at Costco or Sams. The corps I have hosted over the years made a run to one or the other each time they were at our site.  That covers the mass purchases for the corps as a whole, such as food truck necessities.

As far as individual members, that would be a hit or miss.  The frequency and locations of these "Club" facilities don't match the location quantities of a WAL-MART as well.

• Like 1

The partnership is for "24/7 TELEHEATH" services, not in-person. Most likely DCI used their bargaining power of ALL the corps to get a substantially discounted rate on this service. This works great for corps because often urgent cares are closed/not close by/take the ONE vehicle some corps have that's needed to do airport/food runs etc.

Now corps can get diagnosis/prescriptions written on the bus, or at the housing site. That's a huge game changer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

It concerns me when people put their political beliefs ahead of the safety of students and corps.  I would rather have quick access to a walk-in clinic at a WAL-MART than spend time searching for a CVS that might have a clinic and that someone is actually there at the clinic.

garfield clearly laid out the facts. Availability and access is clear.  CVS just doesn't have the numbers.

:soapbox:

When I mentioned CVS and the urgent care facilities in my area, I was not endorsing CVS, I was mentioning why Walmart Health has not established itself in my area just yet. Actually if Yelp reviews are to be believed, CVS Minute Clinics are not great either and my one experience at a Minute Clinic is not a ringing endorsement. People can disagree about whether Walmart Health is a good option, but I don’t feel that mentioning that some Walmart pharmacies are understaffed and at least in one case was closed for a week is a political position. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

When I mentioned CVS and the urgent care facilities in my area, I was not endorsing CVS, I was mentioning why Walmart Health has not established itself in my area just yet. Actually if Yelp reviews are to be believed, CVS Minute Clinics are not great either and my one experience at a Minute Clinic is not a ringing endorsement. People can disagree about whether Walmart Health is a good option, but I don’t feel that mentioning that some Walmart pharmacies are understaffed and at least in one case was closed for a week is a political position. 

Lot of pharmacies are having staffing problems. One I use (different chain) has cut back hours and started closing for a lunch period. Have heard same story for other places

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I have been CVS minute clinics and never had an issue.  Here I think they are Advocate health care systems.

4 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

The partnership is for "24/7 TELEHEATH" services, not in-person. Most likely DCI used their bargaining power of ALL the corps to get a substantially discounted rate on this service. This works great for corps because often urgent cares are closed/not close by/take the ONE vehicle some corps have that's needed to do airport/food runs etc.

Now corps can get diagnosis/prescriptions written on the bus, or at the housing site. That's a huge game changer.

I feel like a lot of people missed the "Telehealth" part of things.  Obviously there are times where an in-person visit is going to be the best course of action, but quite a few basic issues can be addressed through virtual/telehealth services.  This list isn't complete, but it's covers many of the common issues that can be addressed through a virtual/telehealth visit:

• Allergies
  • Bites & stings
  • COVID-19 concerns
  • Cold symptoms
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Pink eye
  • Skin infection or rash
  • Urinary symptoms
  • Yeast infection

9 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

I feel like a lot of people missed the "Telehealth" part of things.  Obviously there are times where an in-person visit is going to be the best course of action, but quite a few basic issues can be addressed through virtual/telehealth services.  This list isn't complete, but it's covers many of the common issues that can be addressed through a virtual/telehealth visit:

• Allergies
  • Bites & stings
  • COVID-19 concerns
  • Cold symptoms
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Pink eye
  • Skin infection or rash
  • Urinary symptoms
  • Yeast infection

[reads list]
[realizes each and every one of those probably happens to every corps, every year, every tour...to multiple marching members]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

yes, we have to be picky about who, what, where, and when. An activity devoted to musical and marching activities for youth has to pay attention to ethics and standards. 

I’m not critiquing corporate sponsorships or partnerships, I am questioning this particular business. Walmart is not known as being a good employer nor is it known for retaining employees. That’s not as  important a factor if the busses stop at Walmart so marching members can stock up on food, health and beauty items, socks, etc. but is it optimal for medical care? Perhaps it’s anecdotal but a Walmart near me had to close its pharmacy for a week because they could not find a pharmacist and pharmacists were stretched so thin, a substitute from another store could not fill the position. People had to travel to the neighboring store for refills and no new prescriptions were accepted at that store. Maybe in the South, Midwest, West Coast Walmart Health is the urgent care equivalent of the Mayo Clinic, but I’d be cautious. 

Thanks for telling us what "we" have to do, but I can make up my own mind about who has ethics and standards.

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lot of pharmacies are having staffing problems. One I use (different chain) has cut back hours and started closing for a lunch period. Have heard same story for other places

There have been massive problems with staffing and closings in all the major pharmacies.  I have been to CVS multiple times to find they just shut the pharmacy down for the day (and sometimes longer) with no apology, no explanation and no information on when they would be open again.