How Are Drum Corps Leaders Compensated?

I've just been browsing through several corps 990s. In 2022, BD's shows David Gibb's compensation was $638,000, which I thought was incredibly high until I reviewed prior years and saw that in some years he didn't make very much at at considering his role. Mostly, it looks like he made about $140,000. This is just one example of people in those positions that don't seem to take pay some years, or very little in some years. Therefore, I'm guessing a big chunk of the $638,000 was in some way back pay. Is this what happens? I'm just curious, because in some years it seems as though is barely a liveable wage. 

14 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

I've just been browsing through several corps 990s. In 2022, BD's shows David Gibb's compensation was $638,000, which I thought was incredibly high until I reviewed prior years and saw that in some years he didn't make very much at at considering his role. Mostly, it looks like he made about $140,000. This is just one example of people in those positions that don't seem to take pay some years, or very little in some years. Therefore, I'm guessing a big chunk of the $638,000 was in some way back pay. Is this what happens? I'm just curious, because in some years it seems as though is barely a liveable wage. 

Wow!  That seems like a lot.  Much more than most.  I thought most ED’s made less than $100k.  Expenses not included and no idea on benefits packages.  Years ago, benefits were most often about 25%-28% over wage. That might take a full comp package value at $125-$130k.

10 hours ago, Vuitton said:

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Wow!  That seems like a lot.  Much more than most.  I thought most ED’s made less than $100k.  Expenses not included and no idea on benefits packages.  Years ago, benefits were most often about 25%-28% over wage. That might take a full comp package value at $125-$130k.

Keeping in mind, there’s potential that amount could include reimbursements for something. I’d have to dig into the 990s themselves, but that is a possibility. 

Maybe some kind of retention bonus or deferred compensation? 

I think it was USA Today that used to publish an annual ranking of college president salaries, and you would occasionally see a huge spike in "salary" for one president or another because of deferred compensation. 

That said, $638K seems absurdly high while $140K seems absurdly low.

Down in OC, there are only a handful of directors that get paid at all.  I think in my final year in 2019, our director was like one of three or four.  Hopefully it's improved a bit now.  When you're trying to do a salary survey for market value, it's *really* difficult as each nonprofit really has it's own set of challenges.  

Mike

Posted (edited)

Non profit compensation isn't what it was 20 years ago, where it involved taking a vow of poverty. The $600k number has to be an anomaly; for an org BD's size, somewhere in the $160-240k range would be more common (keeping in mind Bay Area inflation on salaries). An org in the $1m-3m range could be expected to pay $100-180k for their C-suite execs, $45-80k for leaders a rung or two below that.

Edited by Slingerland

And $200K in sunny CA will buy you what @Chief Guns? A six pack of tacos from Jack in the Box? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

And $200K in sunny CA will buy you what @Chief Guns? A six pack of tacos from Jack in the Box? 

giphy.gif

Walk into any realtor office in California and tell them you want to buy a home for $200K, this is what will happen you lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4