Cadets 2017

Just now, George Dixon said:

oh good grief. You're right - but as of today he has led the corps thru 34 seasons lol

AND everyone knows 2006 doesn't count! Ick

• Like 1

23 hours ago, xandandl said:

Pssst. Mike.

On Saturday, the master censor as in censoring not censer as in Mass,HockeyDad said we can't make those references on Cadets and other threads. He'll explode.

"In general there tends to be too much information shared on DCP at times about individual marching members. Like what college they're attending or what food they like or what corps they used to be in etc. I find it creepy on a couple levels. One, why do adults know this much personal information about kids. Two, why are you posting this information on DCP?  All I can conclude is it's some sort of weird need at validation, "look at what I know," "look at how I'm sponsoring a kid or kids".   I  wish it would stop. "  :whip::whip::whip:

Why do people know this much about kids?  Well think about it:  Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Google (and others) - Social Media; where everything about everything and everyone is available to find out about.  Most information about people is placed on Social Media by the person themselves.  Same on DCP for many posters.  You can learn where they live, who they taught, who they are fans of, where they went to school, etc., etc.  We didn't put their info here.  Most of the time the poster did,  or made sure we learned about them (maybe in some cases a bit of drum corps narcissism).  And it is available for all to see.

However, it is a choice to include personal info or not; to make it private or not.  I suppose it could be viewed as creepy but some of these kids get known and have fans.  Look at Boston's Pit Girl for instance.  Go to google and simply type in "drum corps girl" and she pops up. Another minute or two and you find our her name and easily learn where she is from her age and so on.  So Google is creepy I guess.

DCP is a public forum and anyone associated with a corps is subject to having their information put on it.  This is today's gossip driven world where we feel we have a right to know everything about everyone and little is off limits.  It is up to us to self edit.

The DCI winning 2011 Cadets show came together nicely for them in 2011.  They tweaked it, they polished it, and most importantly they peaked as marchers in the performance of it at just the right time with that season's show. The dual uniforms utlilized by the Cadets this season were an integral part of that show imo, as it perfectly exemplified the duality of the theme " between Angels and Demons ". 2011 was a great season from the Cadets ( of many over the years ), and they were deserved 2011 DCI Champions, imo

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The DCI winning 2011 Cadets show came together nicely for them in 2011.  They tweaked it, they polished it, and most importantly they peaked as marchers in the performance of it at just the right time with that season's show. The dual uniforms utlilized by the Cadets this season were an integral part of that show imo, as it perfectly exemplified the duality of the theme " between Angels and Demons ". 2011 was a great season from the Cadets ( of many over the years ), and they were deserved 2011 DCI Champions, imo

They certainly had a show performed well enough to win, but they don't get that title without those uniform integrations

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

They certainly had a show performed well enough to win, but they don't get that title without those uniform integrations

There is no way to know this. They could have formulated the same show, using the traditional uniforms, creating a different scheme, with just the guard portraying the angels and the demons. Jeff Sacktig could have written completely different drill to that effect. So to say that they wouldn't have won without the uniform integration is inconsequential; we have no way of knowing the contrary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

I'm curious - do you have the same objection to the athletic world, where every college has complete biographies of their athletes online, including their home town, high school, performance history prior to college, sometimes as much info as their hobbies, pet's name, favorite meal, etc., etc.?   The bulk of DCI marchers are not "kids" - they're adults in college, just like the athletes that our society glorifies (and for that matter, top national athletes in high school are also given press in today's world).  Perhaps DCI would in fact be better off providing MORE information.  DCP starts threads:  "Who are the Stars of DCI", and constantly wants to know how many veterans stick around or move corps each season - perhaps DCI rosters would actually provide value.  I know for a fact that DCI marchers at top corps get Facebook friend requests all the time from high schoolers that don't know them, but know they march in DCI.   In today's world where the "kids", themselves, glorify every trivial aspect of their lives on social media, perhaps finding it "creepy" that someone knows one of the kids attends a certain college is a bit of an over-reaction.

If a person wants to post information about themselves on social media, ok whatever. If you are unrelated to this person and there's a large age difference and you're posting personal information about them based on what you saw at a camp for example, yup, I find that creepy. Sorry if you find that to be an overreaction 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

I guess we'll never know, one way or the other. But I would tend to agree that the dual uniforms usage that season with that show ( both Cadet style, traditional unis, by the way ) were certainly integral to their winning the 2011 DCI Title.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I'm thinking if you run YEA "Monday thru Friday" and have a weekend gig with C2 it's a lot better work/life balance than running YEA "Monday thru Friday" year round PLUS USBA PLUS C2 plus Director for a World Class touring corps that has a month-long spring training and a full tour

I get tired just thinking about it. 

Good points, George. At least with just a DCA corps, there is something resembling an "offseason" for at least a short break.

Don't discount Rich Templin's work with C2, however. He's been the man there the past two seasons, going into a third this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

I can't wait to see how Cadets will grow visually with the spandex uniforms.

IF they stick with traditional colors, the lighter construction could allow tbem to add visual elements that enhance the program. The old unis (which I loved), always made the movements look forced and awkward which did not help scoring. I'm sensing "stained glass" graphics and a very cool program.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2