Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Classical Music. Phantom is no longer going to draw upon this music genre. They're reportedly going to draw upon Progressive Techno/ Psychedelic Music... with Coed Guards.

Well... they placed 9th... Gotta do what you gotta do.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Guard was generally the strongest section in Phantom Regiment most seasons they went with the All Female Guard however. Their all Female Guard oftentimes, most seasons, outperformed most of their Corps other sections, other captions. Right now, I'd have to say that Phantom's Guard section should be the LEAST of their concerns at the moment at Phantom Regiment. Going BACK now to their once Coed Guard format is no panacea to their current placement and show design woes, imo

Also entirely possible that their 2018 show concept requires guys in the guard....

• Like 2

My feeling, honestly, is that it is going to get increasingly more difficult to remain competitive in dci world class unless you are co-ed across the board. I know that is a very unpopular opinion among Scouts and Cavaliers fans, but most kids want to march with kids of the opposite sex, and show designs are much more flexible with guys and girls.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

My feeling, honestly, is that it is going to get increasingly more difficult to remain competitive in dci world class unless you are co-ed across the board. I know that is a very unpopular opinion among Scouts and Cavaliers fans, but most kids want to march with kids of the opposite sex, and show designs are much more flexible with guys and girls.

If Cavies start falling in ranking, I'll buy that. 

But just keep in mind that Cavies overtook one of the most desirable and talent-filled corps of the past few years with an all male corps. 

Madison has their own financial and administrational troubles that are holding them back

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Classical Music. Phantom is no longer going to draw upon this music genre. They're reportedly going to draw upon Progressive Techno/ Psychedelic Music... with Coed Guards.

OK... if they do an all-Jimi Hendrix show, I am totally on board!!!  :tongue:

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I disagree. If either corps stops being successful it won't be because they are all-male corps but more of an admin/staff issue. Being coed definitely opens up possibilities but so does being an all-male corps. These two corps can do concepts that other corps can't do. The Cavaliers have really embraced that the last couple years and I doubt they stop anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I agree. But I also agree that this is not a popular thought. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Also entirely possible that their 2018 show concept requires guys in the guard....

This could definitely be it. I could be misremembering but in 05 they only had one male who was a featured performer and in 06 it was a small group of 4 or 5 that played the demon characters. It wasn't until 2007 that they went entirely co-ed. This could be either one since they've done both previously. Again, I could be remembering that incorrectly though.

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Guard was generally the strongest section in Phantom Regiment most seasons they went with the All Female Guard however. Their all Female Guard oftentimes, most seasons, outperformed most of their Corps other sections, other captions. Right now, I'd have to say that Phantom's Guard section should be the LEAST of their concerns at the moment at Phantom Regiment. Going BACK now to their once Coed Guard format is no panacea to their current placement and show design woes, imo

Who said they were adding male members to improve guard scores? I suspect they're doing it to improve overall design - to design a program that has the chance to be more competitive.

• Like 2