hazing/misconduct

I think it’s time for Dan Acheson to “retire.”  At a minimum, DCI should have acknowledged the situation publicly by now. Total incompetence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I think it’s time for Dan Acheson to “retire.”  At a minimum, DCI should have acknowledged the situation publicly by now. Total incompetence.

They are just hoping it goes away.  They have two weeks until we’re done and then they can hide out until next June. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The members deserve to finish out the season. Let it end at Quarterfinals and say the "final" goodbyes.

It would be good if DCI had a representative tour with them until the end of the year for accountability purposes.  

1 minute ago, Whiskey said:

It would be good if DCI had a representative tour with them until the end of the year for accountability purposes.  

Pity the person who would have to do that.  Talk about being treated like you had the plague.

• Like 2

What exactly is the new ethics and safety form guess ethics & safety is a new thing for these guys, enlightening. A form is an exploratory body searching for solutions we should be past that, where are the directives how is accountability measured and policed?

Here is a solution create a internet lock box where grievances are stored a tracking number is issued resolve is timed, feedback is timely and appropriate escalations automatically trigger when timelines are not met up to and including fines and other legal actions. What did the form do besides ban Sounds of Silence from the football field, anything? Oh forgot the probation that is nothing more than words on paper. Where is the measuring stick for all concerned to live up to?

Edited by Bluzes
typo

3 hours ago, PioSnareMom said:

I am very concerned reading these posts.  My son is a vet in his 2nd year.  He, too, felt this would be a break out year and for sure they are better.  But what of this harassment and norovirus?

I feel totally out of the loop.  Also concerned about them wanting to pack it in with 2 weeks to go??

Call your Son. At this point, I have a guess he'd be happy to hear from you. Tell him to talk straight to you, your Mom detector is on. (My Mom has a very good one)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Agreed.  They’ve made it this far through mismanagement hell. 

Yeah but no more suffering 

• Like 3

Just looked at Pioneers website and:

No listing for a financial person...

Nutritional has a listing of To Be Announced 

If you support a member thru SOPY they will send you a receipt: don't remember exact wording but close to what I read and never got a receipt twice.

And donations towards a members dues thru the corps (send the check to the  corps earmarked for the member) are tax deductible. Any tax experts here are heard this not true as money is to go for a person's benefit and not the (non profit) corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just looked at Pioneers website and:

No listing for a financial person...

Nutritional has a listing be To Be Announced 

If you support a member thru SOPY they will send you a receipt: don't remember exact wording but close to what I read and never got a receipt twice.

And donations towards a members dues thru the corps (send the check to the  corps earmarked for the member) are tax deductible. Any tax experts here are heard this not true as money is to go for a person's benefit and not the (non profit) corps.

I'm not even remotely close to being a tax expert. But I've always been told that a donation earmarked for a scholarship fund (not a specific individual) that helps with dues, is tax deductible. A donation earmarked for a specific member, to help with dues, is not tax deductible.

As drum corps fans, we’re disgusted by what we are hearing about Pioneer and some are wondering why Cadets got media coverage, DCI intervened, etc, and why Pioneer is flying under the radar. A few things to keep in mind:

1. We don’t know that DCI is not investigating the matter. Silence does not mean inaction, and while we may have reasons to have doubts, if DCI is investigating, silence on their part is probably being advised by legal council. You speak when you have facts and while I believe much of what we are hearing is credible, DCP and Reddit do get a good deal of information second, third, and fourth hand.

2. The Cadets story dealt with accusations of sexual misconduct and alleged financial irregularities at the hands of a controversial and in many cases despised former director. Salaciousness sells newspapers, and the Cadets story had plenty of it. In the case of Pioneer, kids who live and travel in close quarters getting an illness happens, it’s hardly a story. If the lack of proper care we are hearing about was malicious, there might be a story, but it sounds more like ineptness. Regardless of the reason, it needs to be addressed. If I were a parent and it was my child, the reason would not matter, but it does matter if you are a journalist selling a story. 

3. Cadets is a crown jewel in drum corps. Pioneer has never come close to making finals. If you look at their closest competitors, has Pioneer rebuilt the way Cascades has? Do they have the nurturing reputation of Jersey Surf? OC corps such as Spartans and 7th Regiment will give them a run for their money in prelims. Can Pioneer take pride in forming marching members they way these two corps can? I do believe Pioneer has lots of good intentions and would love to be like their competitors, but Pioneer has not had ways of making the good intentions a reality.

Personally, I would like to see Pioneer saved. I also think OC is a better option for them because there is a camaraderie between the OC corps and they could learn a great deal from their competitors. Also, if you’re in Allentown, Indy, or wherever Pioneer is competing, support the kids on the field. The off the field stuff is not their fault.  

• Like 4