hazing/misconduct

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Thanks sad would have much rather been in the dark.

Don’t you think the members deserve better than this?  I do.  

Your kid marched.  So did mine.  I don’t know everything that happened but I kept my eyes on the corps a lot. Some parents don’t have that luxury.  They are putting their faith in the administration and staff to take care of their kids for three months. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I suggested in the past that it might be better for Pioneer to go to DCA; but would DCA want them? Yeah, this is going to sound incredibly cruel; but if Pioneer were to fold, I wouldn't miss them in the least. That corps is a caricature and is going absolutely nowhere. This was supposed to be a huge breakout year for Pioneer. It's more like another breakout bust. That organization has way too many issues to continue in World Class. 

One issue leads to all others

• Like 1

16 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Just thinking out loud...

All this "DCI needs to do something" stuff is certainly well-intentioned, but it seems like the only way to accomplish the kind of true oversight necessary (on a variety of levels) would be to scrap the entire DCI operating model and start over from scratch to create some sort of actual comprehensive governing body, made up of an independent board of directors and administrative team and NOT of current individual DCI corps directors. In the early 70's, the corps directors wrestled control over their destinies from the old service posts and the end result was DCI, the corps making the rules, the corps in charge of themselves, etc. It was a radical concept at the time and for a while it seemed to work. Clearly, in this day and age, it seems as if an activity of this scope simply cannot be run this way anymore. Maybe all these concerned voices here and elsewhere should be lobbying their brain power, energy and efforts into the formation of a true drum corps governing body, one that seeks not only to foster the growth and safety of current corps (of all ages), but putting forth a strong effort into the creation and development of NEW corps all over the country (and world?) to help expand the activity, something the current DCI model has historically been incapable of doing by nature of its intended design. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone involved at the higher levels of DCI would have any interest in going back to the drawing board.

You may well be correct.

I think of the individuals who formed DCI - Jim Jones, Geo. Bonfiglio, Dave Kampschroer, and other Giants of the activity.  Only one left is Don Warren.

They put it all on the line - I don't know if the directors of today could pull off a major reorganization.

But, as I teach my biology students  - when faced with adversity an organism (or in DCI's case and organization) has 3 choices:  Adapt, Migrate, or Die 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Agree we both go way back and know who their bus drivers were then, no need for names. Can't believe how bad things are now. Easy solutions just need dci to man-up. Some past posts I called dci a big mansplaining origination and felt bad afterwards. Now I realize, that year old Reddit post was crying out the same thing, lets fix this.  

• Thanks 3

How did we get from cutting out paper hearts to this? Where's my scissors???

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This was posted last year on Reddit: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/76fn81/the_pioneer_files/?st=JK4O0VM7&sh=3e6cf08c

Make sure to read the comments from members of the Pioneer. 

Holy #### more I read more I'm thinking some mental health checks are in order because some seriously screwed up priorities. Talking about corps management and some of the posters. Regarding that bus driver I worked with an IT contractor who knew his stuff, very professional, etc, etc. He's now listed as a violent offender so you can bag that "such a nice guy" crap.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

How did we get from cutting out paper hearts to this? Where's my scissors???

Now I understand why we need coloring books and safe spaces, was just yanked out of mine. I apologize if I ever made fun of that stuff. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

All this "DCI needs to do something" stuff is certainly well-intentioned, but it seems like the only way to accomplish the kind of true oversight necessary (on a variety of levels) would be to scrap the entire DCI operating model and start over from scratch to create some sort of actual comprehensive governing body, made up of an independent board of directors and administrative team and NOT of current individual DCI corps directors. 

Doesn't seem necessary to follow your suggestions.  After the Cadets pre season issues and after some big changes were made, they seem to be on their way to success again.  DCI has to have the resources to start kicking some butt and taking down names.  Again, and even though the corps basically run DCI, there has to be some big changes and how the corps run their operations throughout the year and especially from first audition until finals.  Not only for protection of mm, but being more involved with the solvency of corps.  Maybe DCI will require financial information that is up to date as of April 1st before they are allowed to continue with the new season.  If a corps looks like the don't have the funds, they may have to cut back on their tour.  DCI has to have folks on staff ready to respond once the phone call is received and a rainy day fund for corps that might need temporary financial help.

A lot thrown up against the wall, but if DCI hasn't had any wake up calls over the years with other corps issues, Big Ben is chiming loud and clear now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They do. Their experiences can't have been not understood by some large number of people, though, right? A hundred kids, their parents, staff, volunteers, peers in other corps, the great Phantom folks who offered up food. How does this not become a big deal right away when kids aren't getting enough food? Especially a big deal for any professional in DCI?

Here I am next to Mercedes Stadium and hyped up to watch drum corps all day tomorrow. But this stuff is sad. I'll think differently when I walk by the DCI souvenir shop