hazing/misconduct

6 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

....and with this latest incident of many, it’s time for the corps director to just go away and let someone else take over. The members are suffering because he refuses to let go of any control at all.

Attended a luncheon in Indy in 2010. A former driver took the opportunity to share many not pleasant details about life on the road with that corps.... and some important people were there. Sadly, the general consensus was “ well til he dies....”.

pathetic. So I asked “ I guess world class only refers to how much a corps has in the bank, not if they use it wisely right? “ 

silence

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FTNK said:

Remember when Capital Regiment crashed and burned in 2006? Magic of Orlando? Teal Sound? Seems DCI hasn’t learned much.

Tear it all down. There are other things for kids to do/parents to spend money on.

It can be fixed. Sadly it won’t be overnight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Has anyone here reported this to DCI yet? (Particularly someone who knows which corps this is, as several people here apparently do.) Seems like the kind of thing DCI would want to know about in this new age of attention to member safety.

If you read the comments on Reddit yes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

If you think those organizations will “investigate” mannnnn you really have high expectations for some of these drum corps. 

Ad I’ve seen them in person “shrugg” off a complaint and make their members feel like crap for even trying to report it. BOTH of those drum corps! 

True. That's why it often has to be blown up in public before any real action is taken. Look at the metoo movement for example. What surprises me is in this day of instant and easy communication that there are still people who think they can get away with crap without it being found out. And now Pioneer is added to the growing list. Allegedly. 

30 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

If you think those organizations will “investigate” mannnnn you really have high expectations for some of these drum corps. 

Ad I’ve seen them in person “shrugg” off a complaint and make their members feel like crap for even trying to report it. BOTH of those drum corps! 

Thank you.  :worthy:

21 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

True. That's why it often has to be blown up in public before any real action is taken. Look at the metoo movement for example. What surprises me is in this day of instant and easy communication that there are still people who think they can get away with crap without it being found out. And now Pioneer is added to the growing list. Allegedly. 

How much "in public" can there be for a niche activity like DC. So far it is all complaints and reports within the group itself.  Kind of like preaching to the choir. And if anyone who is overseeing this has the mentality of  "until he dies". And what power does DCI have over individual corps other than refuse access to shows which hurts DCIs bottom line. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Does anyone know if any corps do a feedback survey to the members post tour? Not just to address any hazing with an opportunity to be anonymous, but to assess how well the member experience for the summer was in general.

DCI as a whole might benefit from something like this.

Edit:

I conduct surveys and do marketing data analysis for a living. It'll be extremely rudimentary, but if any corps staff see this, I'm happy to facilitate something for any interested corps post season. No charge.

Edited by ouooga
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Does anyone know if any corps do a feedback survey to the members post tour? Not just to address any hazing with an opportunity to be anonymous, but to assess how well the member experience for the summer was in general. 

DCI as a whole might benefit from something like this.

Edit:

I conduct surveys and do marketing data analysis for a living. It'll be extremely rudimentary, but if any corps staff see this, I'm happy to facilitate something for any interested corps post season. No charge.

Yes. Can't vouch for all of them, but I know there are World Class groups do annual post-season exit surveys. They are not coordinated by DCI. Just in-house.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FTNK said:

DCI better do something- or else the whole “marching member safety” push this spring was just empty CYA

I’m not sure I would go that far, but what needs to be done is not have a blanket policy but specific procedures for specific areas. This is what defines sexual misconduct, this is what defines hazing and bullying, this is what defines supervision of minors, this is what medical procedures should be followed and with each, consequences which will happen if procedures are not followed. Blanket policies look specific and zero tolerance sounds great, but are only a short term solution. Long term which is what ensures safety, takes a bit longer. Regarding medical issues and supervision this really is not that difficult. There are laws and insurance guidelines that are already established. 

• Like 1