Blue Devils New Uniforms

I have absolutely no idea where I am.

You're in "the cloud" my friend. Big, fluffy clouds...

You're in "the cloud" my friend. Big, fluffy clouds...

No I experienced that along with the turbulence Memorial Day weekend. Not again.

So, the 2008 BD show (by your estimation) should have been named: "Constantly Copying Other Corps to Minimize the Possibility of Failure and Therefore Never Risk Absurdity, but do it clean"! :tongue:

Wow, never saw that coming. Clever. Really. Mean it.

So let me get this right... Because BD told you they're really aBsUrD wAcKy CRRRAAAAAAZY, that means they are? This is exactly my beef with BD. They are so freaking literal with everything they do that there's very little subtlety. Very little nuance. Putting chairs on a field is not avant garde. It take no imagination, and it certainly did not capture mine. Pretending you're a tight rope walker doesn't make you edgy. It's hit you over the head, "I'm going to tell you how cool we are and if YOU'RE cool then you'll agree" drum corps. Frankly, it's drum corps for joiners. (And let's be honest... Shouldn't the fact that BD is hugely popular with the high school band kids tell you something about how edgy they are? I'm sure I'll be hated for saying it, but that kind of defines pedestrian.)

Combining elements in ways that haven't been done before and doing it in a way that produces something that is fundimentally different than anything that's come before it...that's what it is to be avant garde.

Devils do it bigger, better, brasher. They are very, very good what they do. They're clean. They take on some of the toughest shows year in and year out. Their swagger is unmatched. They're entertaining. I will take nothing away from their accomplishments in these areas. But I'm sorry... They do not get credit for being avant garde.

Then again, maybe my standards are too high. I mean, they were the first corps to ever utter the word "yowza" on the field. That's pretty crazazy edgy, yo!

So let me get this right... Because BD told you they're really aBsUrD wAcKy CRRRAAAAAAZY, that means they are? This is exactly my beef with BD. They are so freaking literal with everything they do that there's very little subtlety. Very little nuance. Putting chairs on a field is not avant garde. It take no imagination, and it certainly did not capture mine. Pretending you're a tight rope walker doesn't make you edgy. It's hit you over the head, "I'm going to tell you how cool we are and if YOU'RE cool then you'll agree" drum corps. Frankly, it's drum corps for joiners. (And let's be honest... Shouldn't the fact that BD is hugely popular with the high school band kids tell you something about how edgy they are? I'm sure I'll be hated for saying it, but that kind of defines pedestrian.)

Combining elements in ways that haven't been done before and doing it in a way that produces something that is fundimentally different than anything that's come before it...that's what it is to be avant garde.

Devils do it bigger, better, brasher. They are very, very good what they do. They're clean. They take on some of the toughest shows year in and year out. Their swagger is unmatched. They're entertaining. I will take nothing away from their accomplishments in these areas. But I'm sorry... They do not get credit for being avant garde.

Then again, maybe my standards are too high. I mean, they were the first corps to ever utter the word "yowza" on the field. That's pretty crazazy edgy, yo!

PREACH!

:tongue: :tongue: :doh::w00t::doh: :doh: :cool::w00t:

And let's be honest... Shouldn't the fact that BD is hugely popular with the high school band kids tell you something about how edgy they are?

Really? At the high school I teach at Cavaliers were always the most popular but they are now quickly being replaced by obsessive Crown fans. I've never seen one of the kids with a BD shirt or even so much as tell me that they really loved BD. :tongue:

how many block rotations or company fronts have you seen them do in the last 8 years? In their 2007 show I think maybe 1 or 2 sets were not made up of curvilinear forms.

These elements are absent from BD shows because they are hard, especially to clean, and BD is quite difficulty averse.

We've tried " subtlety " in Drum Corps lately. Perhaps too much " subtlety" to the point that staff designers are now being asked to meet with the confused judges.

The Blue Devils " genius ", in my opinion is that while most of the other " TOP ACTS" were going 180 miles per hour on the field... where runnning pell mell ( and mostly out of step ) from formation to formation seemed to be the " marching " soup de jour" for a lot of Corps..... the Blue Devils last year slowed things down.. and went vertical, while the others were still going mostly horizontal in their visuals. Plus, no other guard came even remotely close to the Blue Devils guard in versatility. Their guard could not only dance, but each had the ability to use equipment in creative ways. No other guard had the creativeness, the full creative genius of integration, with the brass and percussion as did BD did last year. The brass, percussion, and guard created a seemless integration in their show that was unmatched. And the judges agreed as well. It was why they were undefeated and ( pardon the bad pun ) ran away from the competition come Finals Week last year,... and deservedly so, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I heard. TACKY, Circus like, outdated, But hey its a Chandler product..lol...look at FJM catalog. The man is super talented But costume desgin? hmmmmmmmmm.. :tongue:

yeah, not striking and modern like Madison's guard uniforms the last...25 years.

not tacky at all:

3813712640_aaa4489b84.jpg

210480289_17c9918685.jpg