Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring

Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring  

55 members have voted

1. 1. from a percussionists perspective which is more praiseworthy than the other

• DCI World Class first place corps
    • Fred Sanford trophy for best World Class percussion section

Fair enough. As someone who marched 7 different corps, I liked playing drums, didn't really care what uniform I was wearing.

Winning drums meant I (and my 30-something fellow drummers) did my job better than everyone else. Winning a ring meant someone designed a show better than everyone else and luckily all of the captions were ok enough to balance out the scores to win.

GE wins rings, clean beats wins drums.

I like clean beats.

7 different corps? really? spitting.gif

• Like 4

I won a ring, and was with a corps that won high brass, high visual, and high GE. I can wear my ring, I don't have a miniature version of those trophies floating around, even though it would be cool. The title means that everyone came together and was the best out there, and individual caption means that specific group of people were the best out there on the field. If you're in a corps that doesn't have a shot of winning the title, but is within grasp of winning a caption, that means a lot, (see Phantom 2010, SCV 2013, SCV 2009 for brass, others for percussion) None of those corps had a chance of winning the title, but they were really close to winning a caption award or did win it. I'm sure those kids new that and pushed as hard as they could to max out that caption. Doing your "job" on the field means maxing out personal performance levels. Not everyone's maximum level though will be to the same place, so even if everyone is maxing out their performance doesn't mean that the caption or corps will win. But sometimes a corps will get lucky, and all pieces will fire at a high enough level to win the ring. Other times, one caption moves above the rest, and then they can take home the caption award. Both are pretty darn rare and pretty tough accomplishments to win.

Thanks for the insight; can you elaborate as to why?

For me, both years I marched BD we were always focused on being the best we could be as an entire ensemble. While we would look at the drum scores and talk about our placement throughout the year, really all the focus was on the corps as a whole...at least that's what I felt. I really wish '82 hadn't been my rookie year. I was so clueless at the time I don't think I could really appreciate what we were accomplishing. In '84 (which, of the two was by far my favorite for lots of reasons) I was able to enjoy the relationships with the people more. That was the most important thing for me was the fabulous people I had the chance to share that experience with.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

The caption awards offer more direct competition. If you're in the percussion section you're competing directly with other percussion sections and if someone says you're the best it DOES mean more because that's what you were a part of.

I would say that Best Colorguard, Best Brass, and Best Percussion are more exciting to win than the other captions for the individual performer. I know people that care more about the section placement than what the corps did overall. Winning overall is of course exciting and praiseworthy but for me, not to the same level as a caption award.

PLUS, you can literally say that less people were a part of top percussion programs than were a part of championship shows so the exclusivity of the awards also raises their "praiseworthiness". 150 people winning overall vs. 34 winning a caption.

Think about it in regular life. It means considerably more if a certain department or you specifically get praised for your work than it is when the company as a whole gets praised in a general sense.

Edited by charlie1223

84 Garfield and 13 Crown might disagree with you there...

They were not top-notch? Really? As it applies specifically to the Field Level Percussion Trophy I agree. However...

a) In 1984 the Garfield Cadets percussion finished 1st, that is 1st, in Percussion GE and 4th in Percussion Ensemble; it was the 9th in Percussion Field which dropped them. So Allison and Kennedy thought they were top-notch while it was Lorenzi down on the field, where only he and no other judge, nor other fan for that matter, observed them up close and thought they performed at a 9th place level.

b) In 2013 Crown finished 1st, that is 1st from both Music GE judges in which, ummmm, the percussion is an integral part of the Music GE judging influence, and 6th in Field Percussion. So Bell and Dillon believed that the Crown percussion was musically top-notch while Prosperie down on the field, where only he and no other judge, nor other fan for that matter, observed them up close and thought they performed at a 6th place level.

c) While we do need the field judge, and difficulty along with technical execution and clean beats are important in evaluating one line against the next in the context of competition, when it all is said and done it really does not matter 'musically' one iota from the perspective of the fans the stands or the judges in the press box if a snare line is playing Munster Cheese Uncle Charles Book Markers with internal Inverted Accents off the left or tap-drags. What matters, to be top-notch from the box judges standpoint, is Phrasing, Balance, Dynamics, Blend, and all of the other plethora of musical intricacies; and according to the box judges both 1984 Garfield and 2013 Crown percussion were top-notch.

• Like 2

... I can't tell you yet a flam from a paradiddle.

I got this one....

A flam consists of a soft grace note played just slightly before an accented note which is played by the opposite hand. The resulting sound mimicks the name of the rudiment - "Flam" Example lR, rL

Likewise, the name paradiddle resembles the sound of the rudiment when played. "Par-a" is a pair of alternating beats, the first one accented. "Diddle" is two beats in succession played by the same hand that played the first accented beat. Example Rlrr, Lrll, Par-a-did-dle.

Hope that helps.

:smile:

• Like 1