2014 Rules Proposals

I'd rather have some kind of audience texting or ballot system....both prone to abuse, but I trust the audience.

This. And tie the results to the cash disbursement. At each show, the corps with the best audience score (or the top three, or whatever), gets a little more money than the rest.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

IIRC back in the ancient piston/rotor or 2-piston era, by holding down the 3rd valve of a B-flat horn (trumpet/baritone, t would change the key to G, and one could play the 2-valve bugle parts. There was even discussion on allowing B-flat horns thus modified as a way for smaller, newer corps to break into the activity using band instruments.

That's how I practiced my parts at home until I moved to Concord and they gave me the K-20. The intonation was horribly off, tho, as I recall.

If I remember correctly, you can use a synthesized voice of a brass instrument/s. So you can use a synthesized trombone gliss.

To me, that's an argument for allowing trombones and removing synthesizers, not the reverse

I don't mind what they change just don't add woodwind for heaven's sake!! Also don't add trombones and yes, thats coming from a trombonist

Most people I've talked to seem to be fine with concert brass instruments being used for features or solos. It also seems to be the consensus that marching a section of trombones, sousaphones, or concert horns would be impractical at best and a horrible disaster at worst. So I say legalize them, with an amendment (or possibly just a "public understanding") stating that the primary reason is for sideline features/solos.

My only worry is that this would encourage the woodwind supporters to continue or increase pushing their cause, if the BOD allows these band instruments in.

As far as the Entertainment Effect... I guess I'm not against it in theory, but the real-life implementation of it would likely be tricky and garner a lot of complaints about subjectivism and favoritism (like GE does already, hmmm)... If it were to pass, I don't think it should be a full half of the GE score as proposed. Maybe 10 points instead of 20 (so Effect would be 15 Music, 15 Visual, 10 Entertainment).

Or as Jeff keeps saying... If the judges actually adhered to the full wording on the sheets, we may not need a change at all.

Visual Designers just have to be itching to get a Suicide Trombone visual into their shows....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcnpoAv6FbI

Suicide Trombones and SCV's cymbal line together....could you ask for more GE than that? :shutup:

Or I could just as easily see this headline in Drum Corps World...it was all fun and games till that trombone at Cadets missed a direction change at 212 bpm

Trombone solo.

French Horn solo.

Totally different sound. It's not just the slide, it's the sound. No, Euphonium =/= Trombone.

Well I agree that Trombone does not equal Euphonium, nor does it equal baritone.

Corps can already and have historically used:

Marching French Horns instead of regular french horns or mellophones. Marching french horns were used extensively in Drum Corps until they went out of favor of all mellophones lines, which was a trend started by the Cadets and Star of Indiana in the Mid-late 1980s. BD fudged around with different middle voice designs during that time, so you'll see some interesting mellophone/flugel looking hybrid horns with french horn bugles from BD in the 80s. Most other corps used a blend of mellophones for the lead parts and frenchies for the lower parts which resulted in a pretty rich and powerful sound. Problem is that marching french horns (and regular french horns) are pretty hard to play compared to the other brass instruments. People cracked notes quite a bit, even in the top corps. I know the Cavaliers were using hybrid mellophone/frenchies all the way to around '94.

9416_12073_1.jpg !8961_12073_1.jpg

Corps may use marching trombones, or tromboniums instead of trombones. I believe that the Madison Scouts used to use DEG Tromboniums for a time back in the day for that bright trombone tone versus the "darker" baritone and euph voices. Tromboniums were used in the higher parts; baritones for the lower parts; euphs for the lowest parts. I play on one of these ( in marching band), Baritone (in corps), and euphonium was my major instrument. Very different sounds and weights that seem to be pretty lost on people today, except I believe that SCV and Phantom are exceptions...

tromboniums.jpg

Current Trombonium designs look like this:

MarchingBrass_955.png (Trombonium) versus Trombone_760.png (Trombone)

So there really isn't a need for the concert instruments because we already and historically have equivalents that "sound" like the concert versions of trombones, baritones, and euphoniums.

I have brought up possible alternate brass voicings before. In addition to french horns and tromboniums, corps could use flugel horns, tenor horns, and alto horns in combination with the trumpets, cornets, mellophones, baritones, euphs, and various tuba sizes to create some pretty neat and unique brass "colors", but they're not doing it.

There are many already legal instruments. If anyone cares to see the variety possible legal instruments including some of those that are NOT being used look at this website:

http://www.brucehaag.com/page10.php

The only thing I don't really see there are piccolo trumpets and different sized tubas.

If almost all of the corps aren't using these instruments, instruments that are ALREADY legal in DCI, why in the world would they want to try a regular trombone or concert french horn?

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3