Pittsburgh PA

At their first show in 2011 (Saginaw, TX) the Cadets came out 4th. A full 3.6 points behind Carolina Crown in 1st.

Their GE was 4th, their visual performance was *7th*.

They spent the next few weeks behind Crown and the Cavaliers, score-wise.

...and then they won.

My point is that reading too much into early season scores is a fruitless endeavor. Bloo may not win, but to count them out would be a mistake.

• Like 6

I would say the content of Cadets vs Bloo is a matter of opinion and as subjective as judging. My first view of the Cadets was, "Where is the some of the cool drill"----see 2005 and 2011- and I think this show will place well, but unless they continue to make changes(which I know they do)--and the right changes without making it cheesy(they have a habit of doing that well)- it will not win it all this year....Having seen the Blue Devils......honestly, and once again, they are the corps to beat this year.

What does BAC stand for? Benevolent Adorable Charmers

• Like 1

Considering I am 34...

My frame of reference is about the last 20 years only... and the last 10 more closely with their move to Johnstown for camp in the last 5+ years.

Every corps is dirty at the start. But I've never seen the cadets at spring training as a "mess". They usually have a complete set of drill with little to no foot phasing going on... and that's pretty clean by most standards on week one. Let's be honest with ourselves :tounge2:

Okay... I said I was going... and I'm still here. Curse this sub culture addiction!

Good night everyone.

OHHHHHH! I remember now. You must be talking about The Cadets of Planet Jupiter. :huh2:

All joking aside, Cadets rarely come out clean.

Debbie Torchia at one time was the colorguard caption head at BAC as well.

And for the record, this is highly unusual too.. None of the Brass, Guard, Percussion judges in DCI have ever taught in Drum Corps before to my knowledge. Debbie Torchia is singularly unique in this respect. Although it was decades ago, Ms. Torchia is the only DCI judge, male or female, that has taught in Drum Corps before. None of the others have any previous connections as former marchers or on staff of any of these DCI Corps. All the other dozens of certified DCI judges became DCI judges by essentially falling out of the sky and right into the DCI judging ranks.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

And for the record, this is highly unusual too.. None of the Brass, Guard, Percussion judges in DCI have ever taught in Drum Corps before to my knowledge. Debbie Torchia is singularly unique in this respect. Although it was decades ago, Ms. Torchia is the only DCI judge, male or female, that has taught in Drum Corps before. None of the others have any previous connections as former marchers or on staff of any of these DCI Corps. All the other dozens of certified DCI judges became DCI judges by essentially falling out of the sky and right into the DCI judging ranks.

Attempt at sarcasm fails when you consider that most of the top judges go to pains to try and call things the way that they are that night. I don't know of anyone who considers Prosperie's opinion on a given show questionable in the least, because he's shown over the years that if you give him the performance, you'll get the number.

Torchia might as well go in with her sheets pre-filled, since if BD is there, they're going to win, and if Cavaliers are there, they're going to be placed uncharacteristically low. Her consistency as it pertains to specific organizations - over multiple years - makes her scoring at any show inherently questionable.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

Torchia might as well go in with her sheets pre-filled, since if BD is there, they're going to win, and if Cavaliers are there, they're going to be placed uncharacteristically low. Her consistency as it pertains to specific organizations - over multiple years - makes her scoring at any show inherently questionable.

MARIE, is that you??? Oh, I knew it!!!

Silly goose, always trying to make it seem like Debbie is alone in this world.

• Like 1

And for the record, this is highly unusual too.. None of the Brass, Guard, Percussion judges in DCI have ever taught in Drum Corps before to my knowledge.

While this might be true this year, this hasn't always been this way. I'm immediately thinking of Gary and Marie Czapinski and Tim Ochrane who marched, and/or taught as well as adjudicated in the past.

The idea of having judges with no previous drum corps experience has it's advantages. Aside from Torchia, can you name a current judge who is perceived to be more biased? A judging panel with less previous connectivity to the activity helps lessen scorer bias and the perception of slotting.

Hm. Cavaliers ranked behind Boston in VA, despite Boston's relative lack of visual clarity at this point in the year and Cavaliers being 1.4 up on BAC in the VA caption last Saturday...oh, wait. DTorchia strikes again.

actually she had a big spread between book and performer. thats her message to Boston to clean it up