George Hopkins response to the critics

I actually think it might be fun to see all of the other 11 corps crowd the front and sides of the field and watch the encore run. Think about it. Many of these corps have never seen the others perform due to schedules.

If space wasnt an issue i would agree.

BD put all of its helmets on the front by the stands. Staff and what not crowded the front.

And before and after the show the members go and see their friends and family struggling to get to the front row.

While i think members who want to see the show should be allowed to if they want, i think that in front or anywhere that might be used by the winning corps should be off limits.

If they hadnt seen the show they wouldnt know where is safe.

Why was this even a thing? Drum Corps fans can be such drama queens...

agreed. it's been Cadets MO for years. and most people get it as Hop has had to explain it a few times.

Gads...I have to defend Hop and admit I liked BD in the same year

• Like 7

While I can see his point to a certain extent, I still see it as a pretty thin argument. There was a time not too long ago when corps would march themselves off the field in reverse order of finish. I had the opportunity to win a ring one year with Cadets finishing 2nd, and I still remember them turning to us and performing part of the show.

There is no 80 year legacy of the Cadets vacating the field after the champion is crowned. It's just a matter of them wanting to write their own definition of sportsmanship. I am OK with that, but at least admit as much.

• Like 3

There is no 80 year legacy of the Cadets vacating the field after the champion is crowned. It's just a matter of them wanting to write their own definition of sportsmanship. I am OK with that, but at least admit as much.

Where was that implied? I didn't think George was speaking for the whole history of the Cadets but his version and the one he sustains and created for decades.

Edited by charlie1223

It's not like The Cadets haven't come from behind to beat somebody at Finals.

Didn't they do that in 1993?

And who cares, really? The Cadets have 10 gold medals and countless Bronzes and Silvers.

How many do the Bluecoats have? After last night, they now have 1 Bronze and 1 Silver.

It's nice to see an "underdog" corps get medals. It was nice to see Crown get their first Gold. Was awesome to see 'Coats get their 1st silver.

The cheering for the BCoats for the silver had nothing to do with Cadets getting 3rd, that was incidental and we all know it.

And who does George Hopkins think he is, "preparing" his kids for the possibility of a "disappointing" bronze? A lot of corps would kill for the chance at a medal.

Good grief, GH. For crying out loud, if you really thought you could win with that show, then maybe you need to start thinking about shuffling up your design team to get some fresh ideas. Your show design this year was, sorry to say, a little stale. But if you really cared about the activity itself and everything ELSE that goes with it, you wouldn't have been crying a river over it.

Just like the Blue Devils' drum major "we came into this season with one goal in mind". Well of course you did. I said it before, Blue Devils care about winning, everything else is second to that, and now I'm beginning to think the same of The Cadets.

At least Bluecoats' staff put out a show that they knew we would love. They know a medal is never a guarantee, and that show was a RISKY show to do. Thankfully it was enough for the judges.

I'll close by advising all corps to count their blessings.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 2

And who cares, really? The Cadets have 10 gold medals and countless Bronzes and Silvers.

How many do the Bluecoats have? After last night, they now have 1 Bronze and 1 Silver.

It's nice to see an "underdog" corps get medals. It was nice to see Crown get their first Gold. Was awesome to see 'Coats get their 1st silver.

The cheering for the BCoats for the silver had nothing to do with Cadets getting 3rd, that was incidental and we all know it.

And who does George Hopkins think he is, "preparing" his kids for the possibility of a "disappointing" bronze? A lot of corps would kill for the chance at a medal.

Good grief, GH. For crying out loud, if you really thought you could win with that show, then maybe you need to start thinking about shuffling up your design team to get some fresh ideas. Your show design this year was, sorry to say, a little stale. But if you really cared about the activity itself and everything ELSE that goes with it, you wouldn't have been crying a river over it.

Just like the Blue Devils' drum major "we came into this season with one goal in mind". Well of course you did. I said it before, Blue Devils care about winning, everything else is second to that, and now I'm beginning to think the same of The Cadets.

At least Bluecoats' staff put out a show that they knew we would love. They know a medal is never a guarantee, and that show was a RISKY show to do. Thankfully it was enough for the judges.

These arguments are annoying. Everything is relative! I'm sure Colts thought it was disappointing to be in 13th even though many corps wish they had the opportunity to compete to make Finals.

Yes, Third is disappointing when you're hoping for Second. It's a logical human emotion to feel dissapointment. What do we expect, that you wouldn't feel even a little bit of disappointment? This activity thrives on competition and winning is a great, positive and healthy goal to have! You make competition seem like such a dirty thing and the emotions we have with it just as vile. Get over it! Corps don't have a "priority" list of things that are important. They care about a lot of things all at the same time and there is no POINT in you trying to dumb it down to a single thing. Do corps always have to be humble 100% of the time and pretend that scores don't matter?! C'mon, you're just being unnecessarily critical just to blast Cadets.

We're all humans with complicated emotions so I don't see ANYTHING wrong with what George wrote or how he wrote it.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

While I can see his point to a certain extent, I still see it as a pretty thin argument. There was a time not too long ago when corps would march themselves off the field in reverse order of finish. I had the opportunity to win a ring one year with Cadets finishing 2nd, and I still remember them turning to us and performing part of the show.

But there is a long tradition of how the corps behaves at retreat. I know the three years I marched, 70-72, we stood stock still and silent at retreats, no matter where we placed at a show...it had been a tradition long before that.

Other fine corps were less rigid at retreats, though at that time it was more a matter of degree, since the milling around post-awards type of thing was not part of my era. To each their own, IMO.

• Like 1

Wow. The Cadets show was far from 'stale'...you might not have cared for it, which is fine, but they put a great product on the field this year, IMO, in many fans opinions, and lots of judge opinions. Not your cup of tea? That is OK.

As for "preparing" them...and "who does he think he is"....the Coats had not outscored them all year up to finals, but at semis had come oh-so-close. George was being a 100% aware and appropriate director in his speaking to his young members about the possibilities, IMO.

I like to see an underdog place high, when it is deserved. Coats had an awesome show this year, so kudos to them. You don't have to diss the Cadets show to praise the Coats.

As for BD...when you are a corps at that level, yes, your desire is to remain at that high level, so what is the issue with what their DM said? You think any of the top level corps come into the season saying "gee, whatever happens happens". They all want to strive for the top...that is why they are at that level.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure you're the one being a bit of a drama queen, not GH or The Cadets.

• Like 2