Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

When drum corps were more neighborhood or regionally based and prior to the 4 month style of scheduling, families and could more easily follow their corps by being present more often at practices, performances, and events. I should have said that our current model of drum corps touring does not allow this as frequently due to the high cost in today's economy while junior or miss boards a corps bus not to be seen again until the second week of August. Few families are able to afford more than one sibling being in a World Class corps today. It is a question of the economic world in which we live, not a question of the shows the corps present.

It's sometimes kidded that "Boston" is a place in Florida not Massachusetts for today's corps. There were no DCI drum corps contests this season in Florida; the family of every member from Florida had to spend a nice bit of change to see junior perform in person. Thank God Tom Blair's crew allows them to see such things as Akron and Indy.

although what you say is very true , the same can be said of most things in life. It's been decades that drum corps has been like this and the same can be said of most if not all of the local activities we all used to be part of like CYO, etc etc. different world.

Edited by GUARDLING

I wish Boston all the best in the new season.

But I sure hope that its young administration will be better thinking than planning another camp weekend for Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday which also this past Spring was Passover and Greek Easter weekend. What your religious beliefs and participation is is one's own business, but even many "secular" families use such holidays as this and Christmas (a national holiday) to gather as a family. Modern drum corps already pulls family life apart with four months of Spring training and summer tour. We shouldn't be shooting ourselves in the foot, especially for a corps originally founded as Most Precious Blood and still touting to honor the memory of CYO Nationals.

If this is the only weekend, facilities are available read the handwriting on the wall about WHY. Choose another facility.

And ditto to the Cascades.

I noticed that DCI showed no photos of either corps until well into the season.

After reading your post I'd be hard pressed and really surprised if you really mean that you wish them the best...I call BS.

To suggest that DCI was punishing BAC for having a camp on Easter weekend is absolutely ABSURD. To even suggest that the organization purposely scheduled a camp during this time to pull families apart in your premise is laughable at best and indeed very insulting to supporters of this fine organization.

You sir are a troll!

• Like 5

Liahona and 7567,

I guess you have been eating those same mind-reading pills as Brasso that give infallible judgments about what others have for thoughts and motivations.

In fact, I have volunteered the last few years at Crusaders' home shows; a branch of my family lives in Hingham which is how I met the possible donor, a major player in the regional banking and telecommunications world there in the greater Hub and whose turn-off was a camp on a major religious weekend for several religions prominent in Greater Boston (and the nation) while the same administration was trying to make money off CYO's past history. To me, his criticism was much like the kid in Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes. No disrespect to past or present members of Waldo's family. If taken, read the book. Hey, a possible show idea for 2015.

You sir are a troll!

Agree.

He's all over the lot with a dozen complaints, with much of it a tempest in a teapot, and barely worth providing him the time of day, let alone a response, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

From what I'm hearing BAC has some cool things in the works for 75th.

I'm glad I'll be back living in Boston (after 3 seasons in Texas) to follow along.

This coming year is my youngest kid's age-out too.

Should be an interesting year.

The selection of Gillette Stadium for BAC's home show next season for their 75th, is pretty cool to hear about too, Ray.

It's sometimes kidded that "Boston" is a place in Florida not Massachusetts for today's Crusader corps..

This is only a hunch, but the place I see Boston Crusader t-shirts most outside of drum corps shows is at Cape Cod, usually in Falmouth or Harwich. Many of the men look older, probably retired. They have that "snow bird" look to them: Cape Cod summers, Florida winters. My guess is there are a lot of BAC alums of yesteryear who call Florida home too.

Liahona and 7567,

I guess you have been eating those same mind-reading pills as Brasso that give infallible judgments about what others have for thoughts and motivations.

In fact, I have volunteered the last few years at Crusaders' home shows; a branch of my family lives in Hingham which is how I met the possible donor, a major player in the regional banking and telecommunications world there in the greater Hub and whose turn-off was a camp on a major religious weekend for several religions prominent in Greater Boston (and the nation) while the same administration was trying to make money off CYO's past history. To me, his criticism was much like the kid in Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes. No disrespect to past or present members of Waldo's family. If taken, read the book. Hey, a possible show idea for 2015.

Look, it happened but that doesn't mean it was on purpose. It was obviously an oversight, not purposeful. You seem to have good intentions in bringing it up but your analysis of the situation itself is absurd.

My guess is there are a lot of BAC alums of yesteryear who call Florida home too.

And your guess would be spot on. ( older BAC alums that are retired to Florida )

Not a lot of people over 35 live in the neighborhoods that they grew up in, whether its Florida, Massachusetts, Texas, Calif. Ohio, New Jersey, or Newfoundland.

Not only are the local neighborhood Drum Corps gone, ( close to 50 years ago now ) the people that marched in them, for the most part, are long gone from those neighborhoods as well. Some of them have a faraway permanent residence now that has no zipcodes too,... if you get my drift.

Edited by BRASSO

This past spring training. Mass, VT, Maine ( As well as all of BAC shows) brought out many old timer and young as well. You can view BAC promo of one in Ashburham which was packed. A lot of those people had not seen drum corp in many years.