Cadets 2015

This is a legendary recording of Shostakovich 10 from 1954 which featured the top-shelf NY Phil percussion section including Saul Goodman on Timpani and Buster Bailey on snare. The Allegro movement about 21 minutes in is a virtuoso performance that I have read was recorded in one take.

http://youtu.be/D2MPmpR51cM

George emailed out a midi clip of the opener (aka the symphony's 2nd movement). Holy moly! Anyone else get it? Dunno if just donors or everyone on their list...

Hmm.

Seems that there has been some over-reaction to what some see as my over-reaction rather than the playful duel with the two posters who have previously enjoyed such chess matches.

But it does present the challenge about change.

Some take the model of the cow chewing on the piece of grass...endlessly to some...getting absolutely every ounce of flavor (depth) to others.

Some take the model of wiping out everything from the past and replacing it with the new or at least different.

As with most things, the wisdom is probably in the middle somewhere.

2006 and 2014 show tinkerings with tradition which worked in some viewpoints not in others. I prefer going for depth rather than mere novelty for novelty sake. That's all.

I guess we are agreeing that this season's show is worthy of all our added interest and off-season wonderings.

P.S. Chris

You now confirm which many of us concluded that you are on George's secret list of top advisors and huge donors. :-)

Edited by xandandl

This is a legendary recording of Shostakovich 10 from 1954 which featured the top-shelf NY Phil percussion section including Saul Goodman on Timpani and Buster Bailey on snare. The Allegro movement about 21 minutes in is a virtuoso performance that I have read was recorded in one take.

http://youtu.be/D2MPmpR51cM

If the Cadets took it at THAT tempo, I would be more than impressed.

• Like 1

Hmm.

Seems that there has been some over-reaction to what some see as my over-reaction rather than the playful duel with the two posters who have previously enjoyed such chess matches.

But it does present the challenge about change.

Some take the model of the cow chewing on the piece of grass...endlessly to some...getting absolutely every ounce of flavor (depth) to others.

Some take the model of wiping out everything from the past and replacing it with the new or at least different.

As with most things, the wisdom is probably in the middle somewhere.

2006 and 2014 show tinkerings with tradition which worked in some viewpoints not in others. I prefer going for depth rather than mere novelty for novelty sake. That's all.

I guess we are agreeing that this season's show is worthy of all our added interest and off-season wonderings.

P.S. Chris

You now confirm which many of us concluded that you are on George's secret list of top advisors and huge donors. :-)

Yeah, me and GH are like "that". lol

That 1950's clip is only a hair faster than the Cadets midi, btw.

There was a YouTube vid out. They are playing lots and lots and lots of notes. Thought it was Crown Camp. I guess Cadets are bagging the concepts of more tempered program because of lack of credit from judges. This is possibly the most difficult show Cadets have done ever.

There was a YouTube vid out. They are playing lots and lots and lots of notes. Thought it was Crown Camp. I guess Cadets are bagging the concepts of more tempered program because of lack of credit from judges. This is possibly the most difficult show Cadets have done ever.

it's meaty no doubt. But still not 1998.