Cadets 2015

They're down from first place by a grand total 1.0 points. 0.3 of that can be attributed to their weakness in guard after losing a staff member early this season.

Do you realize how minuscule that is in the grand scheme of things? Their design staff is doing a fine job and everyone is entertained as hell. They're doing their jobs quite well as far as I'm concerned.

Cappy...you can't fight a supposed DCP "Expert"..Save the energy lol.

The tears that come to my eyes regarding the Cadets' show are of frustration at the squandered talent when you are performing well above the show concept.

The kids deserve better. The fans do too. But people at the top are too stubborn, too blinkered, too egotistical to see it.

What a waste.

Harsh bro.....real harsh. It's an awesome show....just isn't as good a few others. Doesn't mean it's a waste or egotistical. Christ man, it's ART.

Edited by caliswift
  • Like 1

That is your or anyone else's opinion only. Most do not feel that way. I would never claim to know all the answers and neither should anyone else unless you have produced the amount of championship shows this staff at Cadets have. If you have not then we don't care what you think so just :shutup:

Are you on a mission to track down every post you disagree with and reply "we don't care what you think?" Because it's irritating. All you want to do is shut people down. That is the most annoying thing. I don't agree with a lot of what I read, but I appreciate the effort people put into explaining themselves. They are obviously people who love the activity. I'll take that all day long.

I want Cadets to win. Posted as much way back at the Minnesota regional. If they don't win, I'll still listen to them and Crown 10000000x more than BD over the coming years. That makes them the winners in my little world. At the same time I like to read critiques AND compliments. Maybe if some people actually listened to critiques instead of sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and stomping up and down shouting "we don't care what you think", actual improvements could possibly be made.

• Like 1

It's not mainly a color issue, though the black actually does make it harder to see how amazingly well the corps marches, a demand that's probably twice that of other top 12 corps.

The Cadets' GE issues are because the show design is incoherent and essentially meaningless.

People - including judges - understand and relate to meaning, mostly from a narrative arc, opposition/contrast, and emotion.

Pure abstraction, especially when it castrates the meaning from the music, results in incoherence and saps GE.

And it results in a squandering of gold-medal talent. Again. Yet another year of what could have been.

How did this mess start? With "10" itself. Dumbness snowballs. Then you get the truly dumb idea about the tenth element. Then you get a whole series of stupid and unnecessary groupthink decisions that torpedoed this show the second the design team settled on "10", rather than looked toward the meaning of the music for inspiration, or at least, for some kind of larger meaning that the music actually communicates.

It's not just sad. It pisses me off.

Does the design team consult anyone, ever, who's not part of the hive mind and/or dependent on YEA for their salary, before they announce a show concept and start the typical Cadets hype machine, blindly sprinting at 226 bpm toward a GE brick wall, like they've done most years recently?

I can't think of another corps that has such a gap between talent on the field and inept - or at least confused - show design.

It's the concepts that are the problem. Bad design concepts lead to bad design decisions and incoherence in general. However brilliant is Sacktig's drill, for example, doesn't conceal the incompetence and incoherence of the concept itself. No amount of brilliant - gold medal - playing and marching can cover incoherence and abstraction-for-abstraction's-sake.

The MMs have just so consistently marched and played beyond the design potential of the shows most years in the last 15, Cadets fans get just enough greatness out of the corps to be complacent. That's also kind of sad. The Borg are so eager defend any and every decision made by the Queen of the Borg.

And I could be called a Borg myself. He said with love and squalor.

And then he turned away from the muddy blackout and inane counting and Borgy of "10" everywhere to marvel at the truly beautiful products of the design teams of SCV, Bluecoats, Crown, Devils, Blue Knights, and a few others who had show concepts, narrative arc, meaning, and profound emotion that pulled people in and brought tears to some eyes, including mine.

The tears that come to my eyes regarding the Cadets' show are of frustration at the squandered talent when you are performing well above the show concept.

The kids deserve better. The fans do too. But people at the top are too stubborn, too blinkered, too egotistical to see it.

What a waste.

Wrong. It's as wrong as when you posted it a couple weeks ago. Edited by George Dixon

I don't get the Cadets theme and I think it is overdone a bit. But, I think overall this is the best show in DCI this year in terms of content. The closer is off the hook. IMO if they get it clean they should win (despite their guard placement).

Are you on a mission to track down every post you disagree with and reply "we don't care what you think?" Because it's irritating. All you want to do is shut people down. That is the most annoying thing. I don't agree with a lot of what I read, but I appreciate the effort people put into explaining themselves. They are obviously people who love the activity. I'll take that all day long.

I want Cadets to win. Posted as much way back at the Minnesota regional. If they don't win, I'll still listen to them and Crown 10000000x more than BD over the coming years. That makes them the winners in my little world. At the same time I like to read critiques AND compliments. Maybe if some people actually listened to critiques instead of sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and stomping up and down shouting "we don't care what you think", actual improvements could possibly be made.

Hockey Dad..I track down no one. I have no mission. What I do do is comment when the same people keep spouting hate at corps over and over. We all are tired of it. Don't try to give the impression that you do not express the same as I do because I have seen plenty of quotes you have made in other forums over and over to get your point across. Sorry I irritate you but telling people to stop the hate is not shutting them down. Guess you enjoy hearing Channel3 almost daily complaining about the Cadets show over and over. Most don't.

I totally dig this show, and I think the black looks great. My kids still don't care for it, even on third viewing, but it's almost 100% because of the nature of the Shostakovich work - much too angry for them. I wish the drum green matched the guard green - it's too muted and looks wrong, but seriously, that's about as much of an argument against the show as I can make. I can understand how the Cadets did themselves no favors with such a punishing drill - if you pull it off, you look like Gods, but if you don't.. But top corps get to make those kinds of choices. They're still getting huge ovations when they perform, so honestly, I'm good with however it turns out for them - it's a great show.

Mike

• Like 1

That is your or anyone else's opinion only. Most do not feel that way. I would never claim to know all the answers and neither should anyone else unless you have produced the amount of championship shows this staff at Cadets have. If you have not then we don't care what you think so just :shutup:

With all due respect, it does appear from at least this end that you are using their (The Cadets) record of accomplishments as a vindication and support for your right to readily and dismissively disregard the opinions of others...of which you appear to, at the same time, at least support the right to express. Or am I reading your inferences incorrectly?

Edited by HornTeacher

There's hyperbole on both ends--the "this is perfect just shush" end and the "it makes me cry how inadequate it is" end. This show of course is not a disastrous disappointment, nor is it perfect. IMO what has hurt them generally since about 2007, perhaps 2002, is guard design and execution, and perhaps also music selection. West Side Story and On The Town and Malagueña Adagio and Shoskys 10th are fine music but perhaps don't always inspire a creative and fresh drum corps show design. And IMO guard design and execution were the major problems in shows like 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015. It might be as "simple" as thinking outside the box on these two things. Then let Sacktig and Bocook and McNutt have at it. Then you get shows like 2005 and 2011, and yes sometimes you also get 2006 and 2014.

Let's also remember that, in the judges eyes, only BD has had a reliable lock on design and execution in the last 8-9 years. Not Crown, not Coats.

• Like 2