Cavaliers 2015

After my huge disappointment from what they did to "Enterprise Young Men," I choose to not get excited by this... reluctantly.

I am actually going to respectfully disagree... I actually enjoyed that version of "Enterprising Young Men". Its drum corps so its going to be a little different, but it was personally very enjoyable to listen to and I remember watching it live and smiling after the show! I really enjoyed that 7th place corps!

Now for the music announcement... I am currently listen to the Debussy and I love this piece of music! It is a beautiful piece of music... I am just about to listen to the Graham. I have played some music from this awesome composer so I already know I am going to greatly enjoy this piece!

Edit***

For shame on me!! I know this Graham piece!!! Oh yeah, I am thrilled to hear this on the field!!

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1

From The Cavaliers' Twitter feed:

"NEWS: @TheCavaliers will be performing "Fetes" from "Nocturnes" by Debussy and "On the Shoulders of Giants" by Peter Graham in 2015."

Oh wow - it will be interesting to see which part of OTSOG they use.

The Finale is something else.

After my huge disappointment from what they did to "Enterprise Young Men," I choose to not get excited by this... reluctantly.

I don't disagree with you, but the Cavs had a revamped music staff last year, and they did a great job with the source material from last season. Needless to say, I can't wait to see what they do with the two pieces.

I am actually going to respectfully disagree... I actually enjoyed that version of "Enterprising Young Men". Its drum corps so its going to be a little different, but it was personally very enjoyable to listen to and I remember watching it live and smiling after the show! I really enjoyed that 7th place corps!

Now for the music announcement... I am currently listen to the Debussy and I love this piece of music! It is a beautiful piece of music... I am just about to listen to the Graham. I have played some music from this awesome composer so I already know I am going to greatly enjoy this piece!

Edit***

For shame on me!! I know this Graham piece!!! Oh yeah, I am thrilled to hear this on the field!!

"On the Shoulders of Giants" by Peter Graham very much reminds me of some music from the movie Krull and Battle Beyond the Stars. So that means there's a little James Horner feel to it. There's also a little bit of a Holsinger feeling to it.

That could just be the brass band arrangement that I'm listening to...

Horner

This piece by Graham, or at least the themes on which he built it, have been used in various BBC presentations some of which have appeared on American PBS.

That the one piece has so many different facets of personalities makes it a show designer's treasure chest. I wait to see what Drew Shanefield and crew do.

• Like 1

"On the Shoulders of Giants" by Peter Graham very much reminds me of some music from the movie Krull and Battle Beyond the Stars. So that means there's a little James Horner feel to it.

KRULL enough said both Movie and Music are Brilliant. Has the Music from Krull ever been done on the field before?

Edited by Zeke
  • Like 1

As an aside, just noticed the changes in Cavaliers plans for indoor percussion. Green Thunder program is shut down for a year per corps website, replaced with audition announcement for a World Class indoor unit for 2015. Seems to parallel development of several other corps' winter indoor aspirations.

Never did hear why GTP fumbled so greatly at Dayton last year. I am sure there is a backstory to those scores.

Enterprising Young Men broke my heart - it was probably the most anticipated piece I had going in to '13. :unhappy:

That out of the way, I loved their music last year. So I'm ready to give them the benefit of the doubt - I assume it will be great until shown otherwise. :thumbs-up:

Mike

• Like 1

Just a note to clear things up re: Green Thunder Percussion and Cavaliers Indoor Percussion.

In 2014 (last winter), Green Thunder Percussion (GTP) had its most successful season yet, which included winning two WGI Percussion regionals in Independent Open Class (Indianapolis and Dayton). After the Dayton regional, GTP was promoted to Independent World Class to finish out the 2014 competitive season...a HUGE testament to the entire GTP team of designers, educators, and performers, but I believe even more so a testament to the growth of this incredible program offered by The Cavaliers since 2008.

Green Thunder, competing for the very first time in Independent World Class after the mid-season promotion, finished the 2014 season as a WGI World Championship Independent World Class semifinalist, and we couldn't have been prouder!

Coming off of a wonderful season like 2014, the decision was made to continue the growth trajectory of this ensemble and even more closely align our World Class indoor percussion program with The Cavaliers.

Cavaliers Indoor Percussion (CIP) picks up and runs with the foundation set by Green Thunder Percussion.

Now, this also gives us the opportunity to further invest in the future of GTP as a separate ensemble focused on training and performance for percussionist in the Chicagoland area. With the development of CIP, we felt that taking the time to ensure success and stability with Green Thunder was critical. Thus, our plans are to relaunch GTP in 2016.

Hope this helps.

And I have to say that there was a LOT of excitement in every room this past weekend at our 2015 Audition Experience event in Chicago. Now, we are focusing on another invigorating weekend in Austin to complete the first round of our 67th anniversary season recruiting!

Edited by Chris Lugo
  • Like 1