Which drum corps cuts vets most often during tryouts?

Wait...vets get cut in this day & age? Really? That is just wrong. Once you make the corps you should be guaranteed a spot. Back in my day once you made the corps you were in for however long you wanted to march. I am disappointed to hear about this.

Edited by FlamMan

Wait...vets get cut in this day & age? Really? That is just wrong. Once you make the corps you should be guaranteed a spot. Back in my day once you made the corps you were in for however long you wanted to march. I am disappointed to here about this.

Exhibit A, Horn Teacher, that entitlement doesn't just exist in the so called new generation.

• Like 3

Wait...vets get cut in this day & age? Really? That is just wrong. Once you make the corps you should be guaranteed a spot. Back in my day once you made the corps you were in for however long you wanted to march. I am disappointed to here about this.

Not always true. One of the guys I marched with ent elsewhefe the folliwng year bevause he kenw he would not be wanted back (not a tickbox by any stretch, but he whined a great deal).

I like to THINK that I would've gotten another chance had I not aged out that year, but I really havea no idea.

Exhibit A, Horn Teacher, that entitlement doesn't just exist in the so called new generation.

Whenever this topic comes up it seems like it's older fans complaining about vets being cut.

But, y'know, kids these days, moronic generational stereotyping, blah blah blah, etc.

• Like 1

Wait...vets get cut in this day & age? Really? That is just wrong. Once you make the corps you should be guaranteed a spot. Back in my day once you made the corps you were in for however long you wanted to march. I am disappointed to hear about this.

What if said member sucked? Should they still be guaranteed a spot? Not like most corps are hurting for members anymore and will keep someone around for 10 years because they need the bodies on the field. Every Finalist corps has kids lined up out the door for spots, and if a vet can't cut it, then a new member will gladly take their spot and have more to offer to the success of the drum corps.

"Isn't this the same sentiment that says it was ok for America to welcome our poor immigrant grandparents into the country in 1914, but it's not ok to let in any new poor immigrants?"

For the most part, our relatives from that period, arrived at Ellis Island, were documented and many had their names changed.

Personally to call it "entitlement" is a little bit of a stretch IMHO. As it is a LOT of talent is simply not able to afford to march. I don't know of a single corps that encourages 100% replacement every year. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Even back when I marched we had to let go some SERIOUSLY great players because frankly they could never get marching and playing. I also have to agree that some people just don't gel with others. To think that all things be essentially equal the vet doesn't get the nod is silly. Besides, marching and playing isn't rocket science and neither is 8 minutes of played show music. Personally anything can be learned but the x-factor is how you get along with people around you.

For the most part, our relatives from that period, arrived at Ellis Island, were documented and many had their names changed.

Edit: My apologies - I shouldn't really get into a political/historical discussion unrelated to marching music in this forum.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2

I've heard of Vet's being cut in many corps. It doesn't happen often and it's a tough situation, but no one should be given a free pass. A Vet has such a considerable advantage. I think in most cases, it's either a personality issue or it's second-year syndrome where a Vet assumes he/she is in and doesn't have to work as hard during auditions. If a Vet comes to auditions the next season and does not show improvement or is playing/marching/spinning considerably worse than the others auditioning, then it's a problem. A Vet should know the quality expected and put the time into the audition material to make sure that it's not an issue. To automatically give that person a contract would be unfair to the rest of the drum corps.