The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Two wind ensemble Claude T. Smith works: "Festival Variations" (Cavies did an abbreviated opener in '87. Smith's "Prelude Variations" (rarely recorded) would be my first choice:

Two other suggestions: Wagner's "Overture to Rienzi" by PR and "Suite of Old American Dances."

Claude Smith's "Flight" would be good too...written for the opening of the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, I think. It also contains Pachelbel's Canon, which is the museum's "theme song".

I'd like to see some of Karel Husa's "Prague, 1968" on the field. Would fit really well into a show that balances between light and dark

Two wind ensemble Claude T. Smith works: "Festival Variations" (Cavies did an abbreviated opener in '87. Smith's "Prelude Variations" (rarely recorded) would be my first choice:

Also from Claude Smith:

Variation on a Hymn by Louis Bourgeois

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvd7fKd8zCg

Gala XXV (don't have a recording of it, unfortunately)

Edited by 84BDsop

Music. JUST music! No stupid narration EVER!!

Is it still considered "stupid narration" if the source music has it in there (i.e. Cadets and "A Lincoln Portrait" this year)? I think then it's very acceptable because that piece is great.

Is it still considered "stupid narration" if the source music has it in there (i.e., Cadets and "A Lincoln Portrait" this year)? I think then it's very acceptable, because that piece is great.

What's acceptable in one medium simply may not work in another: if you love drum corps for its music, then you may never be able to enjoy narration in that medium. Or you may not mind narration, but you find that a corps has done a bad job of using narration even when adapting from a source where it was highly effective. A point which applies to more than narration: John Rutter's "Gloria" is a beautiful piece of music, but that doesn't mean that Pioneer necessarily did a great job adapting it for the field as their intro last year. So time will tell if the Cadets do a great job with the spoken Copland, or they botch it.

Edited by N.E. Brigand