Indy "opening" contest

Very excited to see the Bluecoats program tomorrow night

I think Crown has the best shot of winning this show. Their visual aspect seems further along right now. Cadets could take it on the basis of their strong caption balance. Cavaliers appear to be very strong out of the gate... So they could make some early noise.

I'm heading to the theater tomorrow night. Should be a great start to the season. Very fun line up!

Very excited to see the Bluecoats program tomorrow night

I think Crown has the best shot of winning this show. Their visual aspect seems further along right now. Cadets could take it on the basis of their strong caption balance. Cavaliers appear to be very strong out of the gate... So they could make some early noise.

I'm heading to the theater tomorrow night. Should be a great start to the season. Very fun line up!

Good points, George.

Let me present a different (not necessarily opposing) facet of a diamond with many sides.

The order of performance may influence scoring this night more than most.

The judges have been on vacation, at least since WGI ended, longer for others. They too have to work out some kinks for numbers management with programs they may not have experienced.

(Did they shy away from the vids, periscopes, and such that we saw??? Who knows.)

But the history of the first viewing usually has the corps pegged at the same placement they finished at the previous DCI Finals. Not always but most often. Bruckner and company have done numerous posts on this over the years.

As two medalists are the last to perform and a third corps separates them from Crown's performance, who knows how the pencils will fly (or not) on first night jitters.?

Perhaps the judge-a-thon sessions held recently will make this opening different.

I absolutely concur with you that we're in for a treat...and a great season.

• Like 2

Anyone planning to watch from a theater should probably confirm they are actually showing it, if you didn't already buy tickets that is.

My theater (Desert Ridge in Phoenix) is on the Fathom list but it appears they will not be showing the event.

In this case, the Fathom link did not go to a theater page (which I told Fathom about 2 days ago and they never replied or changed it) and when I went to the theater page separately it was not listed. I called the theater and the lady I talked to said they would not be showing it. Am I sure she was right? No, but I have to assume she was unless they do something to correct it.

• Like 1

Weather.com says 80% chance of storms in Indy tomorrow.

Great news then !. It'll probably be sunny and not a cloud in the sky!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The judges have been on vacation,

Any chance we can keep it this way ?

Anyone planning to watch from a theater should probably confirm they are actually showing it, if you didn't already buy tickets that is.

My theater (Desert Ridge in Phoenix) is on the Fathom list but it appears they will not be showing the event.

In this case, the Fathom link did not go to a theater page (which I told Fathom about 2 days ago and they never replied or changed it) and when I went to the theater page separately it was not listed. I called the theater and the lady I talked to said they would not be showing it. Am I sure she was right? No, but I have to assume she was unless they do something to correct it.

Happened to me last year. Showed up to the usual theater and they weren't showing. Luckily there was another about 20 minutes away Edited by Tobias

So, what's it like? Is it loud, do people clap, is there commentary... What's different/ what are the pros and cons of seeing a show in the theater?

So, what's it like? Is it loud, do people clap, is there commentary... What's different/ what are the pros and cons of seeing a show in the theater?

The excitement level depends on the crowd. I have been to Big, Live, and Loud as well as the openers and at times there is a very enthusiastic crowd and at other times people view it like a movie.one year I went to a movie theater event with a good number of high school groups mixed with pre-DCI old schoolers and a good mix of various DCI era fans and the back and forth comments, sharing of stories between corps and at intermission and enthusiasm made it fun. Two years ago I went to the first broadcast and it has the feeling of a funeral. The pros of movie theater shows:comfortable seats, easy access to refreshments and few parking problems and it's s great option of you can't get to a show, but nothing beats live drum corps up close and personal.