2016 Prediction Thread

Stopped by Cavaliers last Saturday night to check in on them and see what they're doing. I have no idea how anyone else is shaping up, but this show, so far, anyway, is showing a much more cohesive design approach (and much more adult ideas) than the last few years. There's also a lot of full guard rifle work that, when clean, will help pull a lot of eyeballs in their direction, and a long (30, maybe 45 second) segment of the opener where the bass drums are the center of the battery contribution that should get drummers jazzed about where they're going, percussion-wise.

The show feels much more modern in approach than the last few years, but still recognizably Cavalier in terms of the visual writing. They had about 6 or 7 minutes of the show on the field, and what's there already looks cleaner and more polished than what they were showing at season opening last year. I'm not predicting anything, but wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a top 6, possibly top 5 show come the end of the season. In any case, it's a good re-set for a corps who badly needed one.

Can't wait to see how people react to the new uniforms. I've heard they're very fresh too. What I've heard about them has really gotten me excited for them again!

1. Cadets

2. Blue Devils

3. Bluecoats

4. Crown

5. Cavaliers

6. Madison Scouts

7. Santa Clara Vanguard

8. Phantom Regiment

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Knights

11. Blue Stars

12. Troopers

13. Oregon Crusaders

14. Crossmen

15. The Academy

16. Colts

17. Spirit of Atlanta

18. Seattle Cascades

19. Mandarins

20. Pacific Crest

21. Pioneer

22. Jersey Surf

This is one of the better predictions that I've seen this year. I'm not sure I would place BK that low though, and I'd place Bluecoats higher. Eh, I think it's a crap shoot this year.

While the product shown at Music in the Park is always a lot tougher than the final product, I think it'll give us a good idea of what kind of year Phantom will have. I'm looking forward to seeing a video tonight or tomorrow!

I've been pretty rough on Phantom the last two years. I definitely don't want to be. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year. Their source music is great, and what I've heard of them playing is VERY good. Their membership has completely maxed out their shows the past two years. They are a solid show design away from being a scary corps. I want that so badly. I want their show to sparkle regardless of weaknesses again. They were my first DCI love. I've migrated in my preferences, but Phantom was my first.........corps I ever saw in video. I don't want them to go back to old ways or try to mimic, I just want that essence back, that whatever they played had a little magic in it. I've been critical, but as a fan that wants them to be all they can be again.

Looking forward to the inevitably leaked video tomorrow. It's been a pretty accurate gauge of how I will feel about the show just about every year.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Cadets aren't finishing in fifth. or lower...

Top 4 is very tough to "predict"

I'm picking Crown 1st because of the rep - I think with improved drums, they may be due

I'm picking BD 4th only because they rarely misfire, and for whatever reason I think they are due

Bluecoats / Cadets IMO will finish 2 or 3 depending on the final few days

Should be a terrific year for the activity. JMO

Edited by George Dixon

I predict that Crown, BD, Coats, Cadets, and BK will medal this year.

...and SCV, Cavies, and PR as well.

• Like 3

medals for everyone!!

Their are no losers! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a 12 way tie for the Gold Medal.
  • Like 1