2016 Prediction Thread

Cadets aren't finishing in fifth. or lower...

Top 4 is very tough to "predict"

I'm picking Crown 1st because of the rep - I think with improved drums, they may be due

I'm picking BD 4th only because they rarely misfire, and for whatever reason I think they are due

Bluecoats / Cadets IMO will finish 2 or 3 depending on the final few days

Should be a terrific year for the activity. JMO

I would pick Cadets to win or contend. Killer percussion, proficient brass, a new guard head with more mature writing and featured throughout show and a show with raw emotion which is something Cadets have lacked since 2011. Certainly a show that can evolve throughout season. IMO
  • Like 1

I would pick Cadets to win or contend. Killer percussion, proficient brass, a new guard head with more mature writing and featured throughout show and a show with raw emotion which is something Cadets have lacked since 2011. Certainly a show that can evolve throughout season. IMO

You bring up a great point. Cadets will have a better guard than years past, Crown will have better drums than years past, and Bloo will have a better show than last year (IMO).

This brings some extra levels of excitement to the top 5 this year. Who the hell will place? That's the question.

• Like 1

You bring up a great point. Cadets will have a better guard than years past, Crown will have better drums than years past, and Bloo will have a better show than last year (IMO).

This brings some extra levels of excitement to the top 5 this year. Who the hell will place? That's the question.

Well it's all opinions. Cadets have made staff changes and focusing intently on guard so program (should) be stronger just as Crown has made staff changes in percussion so (should) continue to strengthen. Bloo's show being better may be the case but we'll see. Tilt placed 2, Kenetic Noise 3rd so maybe Gold this year or 4th,. Who knows. I need to see something to make a call and then the season is long BUT we should see another season with several very strong corps in the top cluster vs one super dominant as in 2014. That I like...Better for fans and activity. IMO Edited by Tobias

The top 6 is impressive in itself. Finishing 5th isn't indicative of a bad show

I think all the corps have gotten so strong in the past few years. As much as people on here ##### about rule changes blah blah.. the corps are better than ever! IMO

Well it's all opinions. Cadets have made staff changes and focusing intently on guard so program (should) be stronger just as Crown has made staff changes in percussion so (should) continue to strengthen. Bloo's show being better may be the case but we'll see. Tilt placed 2, Kenetic Noise 3rd so maybe Gold this year or 4th,. Who knows. I need to see something to make a call and then the season is long BUT we should see another season with several very strong corps in the top cluster vs one super dominant as in 2014. That I like...Better for fans and activity. IMO

I agree with this. Can't know until we start seeing the full programs. But it's still fun to theorize :P

I think the Cadets were plenty emotional in 2013. Their performance definitely moved me when I saw them in Allentown.

I

(But Cadets in 5th or lower? That's nuts. :tounge2: )

I don't know. I believe that any fans that want to make the case that the Cadets are right now practicing to perfect what will turn out to be a 1st place Visual/ Guard Show Design this season could be considered just as equally " nuts ". My prediction is that the Cadets will be closer to 5th this season, than 1st. Then again, I could be found to be " nuts " on this preseason prediction come August 13th too. But right now, NOBODY is " nuts " with ANY of their predictions, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Stopped by Cavaliers last Saturday night to check in on them and see what they're doing. I have no idea how anyone else is shaping up, but this show, so far, anyway, is showing a much more cohesive design approach (and much more adult ideas) than the last few years. There's also a lot of full guard rifle work that, when clean, will help pull a lot of eyeballs in their direction, and a long (30, maybe 45 second) segment of the opener where the bass drums are the center of the battery contribution that should get drummers jazzed about where they're going, percussion-wise.

The show feels much more modern in approach than the last few years, but still recognizably Cavalier in terms of the visual writing. They had about 6 or 7 minutes of the show on the field, and what's there already looks cleaner and more polished than what they were showing at season opening last year. I'm not predicting anything, but wouldn't be surprised if this is a top 6, possibly top 5 show come the end of the season. In any case, it's a good re-set for a corps who badly needed one.

This is wonderful news! GO GREEN MACHINE!!!!!!!!

I have some non placement predictions.

So last year, I'd argue in the 6th to 12th place grouping, only 2 of those 7 corps had a good year. Madison Scouts and Blue Knights. Phantom remained stagnant with a corps way over performing a show that wasn't what the members deserved. Cavaliers show had thematic weaknesses that bled into the quality of the book for each section and the sickness they dealt with the latter part of the season plummeting them. Boston Crusaders finished in the same place as 2014, but that was after starting VERY slow out the gate getting beat by the corps below them down to Troopers. Blue Stars ran into some serious visual design and performance troubles in the mid to late season, plaguing them with rewrite after rewrite, not allowing the show to really blossom and ever get clean. Crossmen didn't really improve or get worse. Great performance, mixed reviews on the show.

That made it pretty easy for Madison with a clear, simple, concise, balanced show pefrormed incredibly well, and Blue Knights unique style and continually maturing corps to shoot up pretty far pretty fast. Not downplaying their placements, but when all your direct competition is having struggles, it created the gap and they both took it.

I do not think that will remain the case at all again. I think that this grouping is going to put up a lot more of a fight and make it harder to maintain their 6th and 8th placements respectively. Not saying they won't, but I think that these corps will put up much more of a fight.

Corps I think are poised to improve over 2015:

Cavaliers - Camp reports solidify what I think. They are turning a new page with some great staff additions and advisors and a show theme that is already much clearer than 2015. Show seems much more mature and their source music is strong. They have all the ingredients. Let's see what they come up with.

Boston Crusaders - They made some pretty hefty staff additions in the design and creative department. Paired with a show announcement that seems incredibly creative, well thought out, and very unique, and you get a show that I have a really good gut feeling about.

Blue Stars - Cleaned house visually and replaced them with people that have proven success. Kevin Ford back is great. Fixed the biggest issue from last year staff wise. And what I've heard of the brass line has fixed the biggest complaint people seemed to have on here. Percussion is ridiculously good this year, FULL of vets. Guard can score incredibly high if they get clean. I've seen about half the show, and what I've see is way stronger than last year. Undeniably.

As far as Phantom Regiment and Crossmen are concerned, honestly haven't heard or know a lot. Phantom has nice music and a very talented membership. Show is what it comes down to for them. If it's really good, they could shoot up fast. Crossmen, I'm cautious on the all original approach. They have copious amounts of talent and are really strong in guard and overall visual, just need a really exciting show.

So my prediction is that Cavaliers, Boston Crusaders, and Blue Stars all have way better seasons, making the 6th - 12th battle a lot more exciting in 2016. I think some corps only have their eyes forward, when the objects behind them could be a lot closer than they appear.

I seriously doubt only 2/7 corps have a strong season in the 6th - 12th grouping again.

I completely agree with just about everything you say here. I only put 2015's 2nd BluRay into the player for Madison. I think my point of disagreement is with BK. I predict they move up a spot while SCV drops a notch. Then I have Madison, Cavies, BAC, and Blue Stars fighting for position, Phantom dropping, and Crossmen and Troopers slugging it out for that 12th spot. Academy might be a wild card, but I think Colts are dropping, too.