July 2nd Boston Crusaders 75th Anniversary Contest

Note: this is not an attack on the Crown organization. Just an observation and sharing of a personal experience.

*Proceeds to call staffers names and attacks them*

Not saying you're making things up, but if you're going to name call and stuff, own up to it.

You know, I immediately thought about that after I posted. The difference I see is that the '13 percussion section didn't have a very bad impact in overall music, but BC guard does do something for overall visual: either in the back a good bit in the first half or not really existent. I don't stand by the assessment, but just notice it for the time being.

I really like Coats guard this year, personally. I think they're great so far, they seem really improved over the last two years.

. Hop basically slotted Crown in third tonight,.

There is no slotting.

Stop it ( lol!)

while 2008 was a crazy year Phantom did get 4th in CG and won. BD got 55th in percussion that year and almost won so it is possible you just need to make sure another category can help.

Wow! A 55th placement in drums is really hard to overcome! I keed! I keed!

• Like 1

Not saying you're making things up, but if you're going to name call and stuff, own up to it.

We were warming up for show of shows, the first show of the year. They were on right before us, so they were finishing their warmup while we were getting our horn warmup underway. They turned their entire horn arc 180 degrees and played 1812 right at us while we were trying to warm up. Years after the fact, I brought it up in conversation with a guy who was on brass staff with crown at the time. His response was "yeah, that wasn't me. Sounds like Matt." Why would I make that up?

I only got to listen on Periscope (I can send you the name of the user if you want to watch it) but the horns sounded GREAT tonight to me.

I should be able to search for it; I assume you are talking Twitter. Not easy to get the horns to sound like that. They are designed as an indoor orchestral instrument with temperature control. Outside, it is risky as temperature varies plus the hand in the bell placement has to be consistent or the pitch varies. Not sure whether Allentown was out of tune or someone missed a fingering.

BTW, everyone gets snarky on tour, and I don't consider dickishness to be a bad thing all the time. I wouldn't call what I said an attack, but it may be a question of how my words were perceived. Damm, I sound like Donald Trump. Maybe I should just hit the hay.

What Crown brass do that I admire is the punctuation of their power notes with dead silence before and after. It maximizes the effect of the high volume and tone quality they get. They know how to show off their strength well and I don't hear that effect as much in the other corps this year. But I haven't heard BD or SCVG yet. Only heard BlueCoats at the cinema event.

I've heard and read many things about the 79' Crusaders...among them being that they fielded that year a 24 member hornline with a drill that was written for 25...and that 25th spot remained for the season/not closed and was in memoriam of a lead soprano that died in a tragic car accident that spring...I seem to recall stories that they didn't have much staff to think of that season either....yet came out onto the field a blazing every freaking performance...I honestly think they coined the term that year "quality and not quantity"...

Almost have it right. There was a spot held open for a sop who was very badly injured in an accident. Breakdown lane drunk driver hit a car that he was in that ran out of gas. He was between the cars. He is doing well and attended the show tonight. The phrase along with 25 and still alive was "Quality not Quantity".
  • Like 1