Oi, I'm DCPd OUT for the night. Comments about judging conspiracies and arrogant cocky DMs and how undeserving of some corps are are making me sad face big time. Some overall thoughts, your daily dose of optimism and happiness!

The Cavaliers have a fantastic musical program that, if it cleans up well, will be amazing in finals week. Their show has a ton of energy, that with some focus and additions to get the theme across, should be fantastic.

Phantom Regiment's show, I over reacted to on Saturday. I blame some of that on reading too much into comments on here. Voice Overs are a little hokey, but they're sparse enough and not in terrible places so that they don't ruin the show. The guard is really fun to watch, and the brass sounds REALLY good. Regardless of where it scores it's a good crowd pleaser, and that closer is just classic.

Blue Devils are masters at staging and conveying their message. Not quite as strong this year as last year at this point, but they probably already have some solutions to fix what isn't working. Show is starting to make sense to me, and #### do they sound and look good. Regardless of what you think of this group, they commit to their themes, and march and play the crap outta them like few else do. Regardless of my enjoyment, the respect for them is there in spades.

Bluecoats.............I love it. I know it isn't for everyone, but I still think this show is revolutionary in terms of the electronic effects. Still getting the sense it's a have to see live in the dome show, which makes me mad considering I can't see them live this year, or anyone for that matter, but it's still really cool. Brass sound is distinctly Bluecoats, Percussion is tastefull and fantastically integrated, and props to the Guard, they're awesome this year. Closer starts to drag now in comparison to what's going on around them, but I hear we have something in store for Saturday.............don't count them out yet. Regardless, 1st or 5th come finals, still my favorite show. That 1 and a half minutes between the contra/tenor feature and Woods are officially my favorite section of drum corps ever. Just total bliss for me in every aspect.

Carolina Crown...........I think the show has structural issues, but overall they're #### good. Some amazing moments from them in this show. Improvements are being made. The talent is there, we'll see how they continue to layer and fix things, don't count them out yet. Crown playing Requeim, Beethoven, ect. is a dream.

Bluecoats are my favorite, though SCV isn't far behind. The show after the ballad seems COMPLETELY different, and in a great way. Loving the mad scientist/50s Science Fiction Dr. Atomic vibe I'm getting from this show. Right up there with Bluecoats in terms of electronics, just great job with those. Ballad is absolutely hanting, and after that this show kicks it up to 11 in intensity. The drill, the music, the guard, the drums, EVERYTHING just keeps building and building and finally resolves in an explosion of energy. When all that new stuff cleans..............watch out. They're for real this year. 2nd favorite show for sure.

Cadets..................are on fire. The show flows extremely well, new closer is fan freaking tastic. Brass is amazing, drums as well. I don't think the guard is as much as a liability as some people are making it out to be. I just think there are 4 other REALLY good ones. Regardless, numbers are indicating this show is a total monster. Moving forward, they're gonna be really tough to beat. They're a monster as an ensemble. Just amazing.

What a fantastic group of shows, once again. Top 5 are within 2.2 points. Captions are all over the place. I don't think it's a result of bad judging, they're all just really close. I have my theories about who will end up where, but we still have 3 regionals to go before finals week. Tons of changes, cleaning, hosing, beefing up are to come. Quite frankly, I wouldn't count anyone out. What a great year to be a fan guys, this is fun. There's not a single show tonight I didn't really enjoy in some way, and the top 5 I enjoyed every single one.

I'm enjoying the living hell outta this season. Like my signature says, don't look for what's not there, and try and find something in every show and you will be a much happier fan.

Night everyone.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 9

3way sub box tie for brass? Really???

Ensemblemusic with 2 sub box ties? makes me overlook the one in Ge2, and then I see Ge1 with 2. Wow.

3way sub box tie for brass? Really???

Ensemblemusic with 2 sub box ties? makes me overlook the one in Ge2, and then I see Ge1 with 2. Wow.

correction 4 total in Ge1.

wow. Just wow.

• Like 1

Oi, I'm DCPd OUT for the night. Comments about judging conspiracies and arrogant cocky DMs and how undeserving of some corps are are making me sad face big time. Some overall thoughts, your daily dose of optimism and happiness!

Thanks for the write up. Lots of good observations. You forgot to mention the "chubby" comments. Those were "the best"!

And I concur - look for the positive. Enjoy! Doesn't mean you don't discern. It just means you don't live in a world of half-empty.

Because you disagree with it? Such "proof"

It's so cliche when people are about to be disrespectful and type "no disrespect mind you... but" -- CLASSIC lol

Either corps would be a wonderful representation of DCI. As would any of the others who performed tonight btw

You're right. I apologize it came off that way.

I guess in that regard, the show I would have picked last year to showcase DCI would have been TILT. It may be a matter of personal preference. It's just that from the comforts of my couch and big screen tonight, BD sounded so incredibly awesome. I couldn't have put anyone ahead of them tonight. But again, I'm not wearing a green shirt.

• Like 2

I guess in that regard, the show I would have picked last year to showcase DCI would have been TILT. It may be a matter of personal preference. It's just that from the comforts of my couch and big screen tonight, BD sounded so incredibly awesome. I couldn't have put anyone ahead of them tonight. But again, I'm not wearing a green shirt.

No worries. I agree last year the "representative show" was TILT. But really, again, lots of the top shows would have represented DCI well

This year BD is wonderful. I prefer "their show" to Cadets. But my favorite show this year is Bluecoats.

As you say - glad I'm not a judge.

• Like 2

Cleaned up a bit of mess mid-way through. Remember, personal attacks, intentional derailing, and trolling aren't tolerated.

• Like 5

if you look at the recaps, some judges had a hard time picking any winners

• Like 1

The Cavaliers have a fantastic musical program that, if it cleans up well, will be amazing in finals week. Their show has a ton of energy, that with some focus and additions to get the theme across, should be fantastic.

Phantom Regiment's show, I over reacted to on Saturday. I blame some of that on reading too much into comments on here. Voice Overs are a little hokey, but they're sparse enough and not in terrible places so that they don't ruin the show. The guard is really fun to watch, and the brass sounds REALLY good. Regardless of where it scores it's a good crowd pleaser, and that closer is just classic.

Blue Devils are masters at staging and conveying their message. Not quite as strong this year as last year at this point, but they probably already have some solutions to fix what isn't working. Show is starting to make sense to me, and #### do they sound and look good. Regardless of what you think of this group, they commit to their themes, and march and play the crap outta them like few else do. Regardless of my enjoyment, the respect for them is there in spades.

Bluecoats.............I love it. I know it isn't for everyone, but I still think this show is revolutionary in terms of the electronic effects. Still getting the sense it's a have to see live in the dome show, which makes me mad considering I can't see them live this year, or anyone for that matter, but it's still really cool. Brass sound is distinctly Bluecoats, Percussion is tastefull and fantastically integrated, and props to the Guard, they're awesome this year. Closer starts to drag now in comparison to what's going on around them, but I hear we have something in store for Saturday.............don't count them out yet. Regardless, 1st or 5th come finals, still my favorite show. That 1 and a half minutes between the contra/tenor feature and Woods are officially my favorite section of drum corps ever. Just total bliss for me in every aspect.

Carolina Crown...........I think the show has structural issues, but overall they're #### good. Some amazing moments from them in this show. Improvements are being made. The talent is there, we'll see how they continue to layer and fix things, don't count them out yet. Crown playing Requeim, Beethoven, ect. is a dream.

Bluecoats are my favorite, though SCV isn't far behind. The show after the ballad seems COMPLETELY different, and in a great way. Loving the mad scientist/50s Science Fiction Dr. Atomic vibe I'm getting from this show. Right up there with Bluecoats in terms of electronics, just great job with those. Ballad is absolutely hanting, and after that this show kicks it up to 11 in intensity. The drill, the music, the guard, the drums, EVERYTHING just keeps building and building and finally resolves in an explosion of energy. When all that new stuff cleans..............watch out. They're for real this year. 2nd favorite show for sure.

Cadets..................are on fire. The show flows extremely well, new closer is fan freaking tastic. Brass is amazing, drums as well. I don't think the guard is as much as a liability as some people are making it out to be. I just think there are 4 other REALLY good ones. Regardless, numbers are indicating this show is a total monster. Moving forward, they're gonna be really tough to beat. They're a monster as an ensemble. Just amazing.

What a fantastic group of shows, once again. Top 5 are within 2.2 points. Captions are all over the place. I don't think it's a result of bad judging, they're all just really close. I have my theories about who will end up where, but we still have 3 regionals to go before finals week. Tons of changes, cleaning, hosing, beefing up are to come. Quite frankly, I wouldn't count anyone out. What a great year to be a fan guys, this is fun. There's not a single show tonight I didn't really enjoy in some way, and the top 5 I enjoyed every single one.

I'm enjoying the living hell outta this season. Like my signature says, don't look for what's not there, and try and find something in every show and you will be a much happier fan.

Night everyone.

Great review. Look forward to reading more of your reviews as the season progresses.