Sad State

To all the naysayers, be patient, it's is being worked and the licensing issues are being resolved.

For this naysayer, I'm going to have ZERO inclination to purchase anything having to do with this season if I haven't seen any of the product before hand: especially with how expensive media (CDs, DVD/Blu-rays) is to purchase from DCI. I'm not going to drop that kind of cash on a product I didn't already 'fall in love with' during the season, and not seeing shows weekly via FN this year for me has caused me to lose interest in this season all together

This is so freaking true. To me at least, DCI's lack of communication, for whatever reason, makes me feel like they don't care about me as a customer. Because of that feeling, I've returned the sentiment and not really cared too much to pay attention or consume drum corps this season: truly a losing proposition for BOTH parties for the most part. I get the legalities, the sentiment of DCI not wanting to over-promise & under-deliver or speak to soon before the facts are solidified. I would be a LOT more forgiving if DCI was a little more forthcoming with me but their terrible handling of this situation from a customer service perspective is inexcusable and really doesn't help sway me to continue to give them my money or subscription at this time.

A plea: DCI, just let us know what is going on!

• Like 1

The lesson here? Buy the hard copy products - CDs/DVDs while you can.

Don't build your world on rented space (the internet).

For sure! Counting on streaming services mean the consumer is 100% at the whim/policy of the service provider who will control exactly what you can watch and when you can watch it. With a Blu-ray player I can watch a movie or whatnot whenever I want and not have to worry about, "Dang: Netflix pulled that movie last week so I can't watch it tonight."

Saw tonight that BD Mediabox has also pulled down all of their championship performance videos. :(

Mike

####!

Just out of curiosity - does anyone have any insight into why the individual corps are still able to sell their own DVDs/Blu-Rays but DCI is not?

What would be really interesting to find out is if a show from any given year that the DCI DVD/Blu-Ray had portions blacked out is completely intact when coming directly from the individual corps...

Have you actually seen that occur?

I've seen tons of phone-recorded show performances on Youtube, but I don't think I've seen a rip of a DCI Live stream.

I could probably link you to 5 rips of different feeds right now lol

Like others, I am glad I purchased DVD's over the years. I have all finals from 1975-2014,along with the 1974 DVD, the BluRsy compliations and some varied DVD 's. If they become available again I would suggest buying them. Nothing makes the blues of a blizzard go away as much as eatvpching a drum corps DVD.

If DVD and BluRays have been present at regionals, but not sold, my guess would be they are close to some kind of ruling/decision and plan on continuing to sell them as soon as they can. It all sounds more precautionary than anything else.

There are all kinds of issues involved. For one thing, I can remember reading in DCW or DCN in the 1970's, probably about 1978 or so, that corps were going to begin paying royalties to composers to perform their music. This could mean that some of the earlier corps never had permission for performing the music in the first place and the old adage "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission" does not work when money is involved.We also have had cases of composers such as John Williams, who reportedly likes drum corps but not the way his music has been performed, and the Bernstein estate who has not been thrilled with some "West Side Story" productions. If they have a chance to halt things by using new licensing and copyright laws, perhaps they are taking it. Also, if the corps are supposed to secure permission to use music, who secures the rights for the now defunct corps? DCI may not be able to do this for the defunct corps.

I hope the issues can be resolved. I am a huge believer in the importance of tradition in drum corps and since each era builds on the other, not having access to the DVD's is huge.

I miss the fan network!

Those with birthdays coming soon:

"Blow out your candles and make a wish" (for the fan network we used to enjoy come back!)

Couple of weeks..... I'll wish for both DCI and DCA FN to come back..... some stuff I missed thinking I could look later.. :doh: