Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

Better still, in the case of the Colts, closeups of the announcers and singers who were representing characters actually out on the field.

Like the stage, the activity doesn't lend itself to close-ups. The performers are wearing heavy makeup which looks bad closeup, but is needed to be seen from the stands. Movements and facial expressions tend to be overexaggerated in order to be seen from further away and at times look "silly" closeup because they're not meant to be seen from that vantage point.

I feel lately the shows are geared towards a medium view - there's too much nuance lost from hi cam, but extreme closeups are not good either. I like multi cam that focuses on the thing the corps wants us to look at (like in BD the price kissing snow white), but they got too close on that and it just looked fake and lost the moment because he doesnt really kiss her.. but from the stands it looks convincing.

As to "beats per measure" and "notes per page", see 1:30-1:40 of the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIwZVG5wMi8

• Like 1

My opinion is that "drill demand' is not awarded like it used to be BITD when tempos were pushed to the envelop by certain corps...I love the Cadets and their show screams Cadets Badassness...but also agree with your opinion about fastest tempo and most notes...at some point it becomes pointless IMO.

I think the effect gets diuted if they do too much of it. The parts that work the best are the opener and closer, but when they ramp up the crazy in the Waltz part, it is like getting continuously punched in the face until you glaze over. BD, Crown and Bluecoats have more variety of pacing so when they step up the speed, you can really focus on it.

• Like 2

I understand the point you're making and i was trying to address the trend you observed above.

My point was that making the "X for the sake of X" argument isn't really an argument at all. Its a tautology.

IOW

How tremendously apt. :tounge2::smile:

I think the effect gets diuted if they do too much of it. The parts that work the best are the opener and closer, but when they ramp up the crazy in the Waltz part, it is like getting continuously punched in the face until you glaze over. BD, Crown and Bluecoats have more variety of pacing so when they step up the speed, you can really focus on it.

Weirdly enough the biggest effect from this program (for me, at least) is kind of tied to nostalgia. This program is "The Cadets being the Cadets" and that's mostly why I like it. If I had never seen the Cadets, I'm not sure it would have nearly the same impact on me.

Edited by corpsband

I'm going to list the performances last night that I enjoyed. If they have an asterisk (*) I would not have expected to prior to this season, or even earlier this season.

Colts*

Crossmen

Blue Stars*

Madison Scouts*

The Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment*

Santa Clara Vanguard

Bluecoats*

Cadets

Blue Devils

Coming from me, this is quite a feat. I enjoyed so many performances yesterday/this whole year. So good luck to those moving on today. And even greater luck to the judges trying to figure out where to put everyone 11-15 and whoever at the top without pissing off too many fans.

So....I'm sure you know that by posting this list, it's pretty obvious you didn't enjoy Crown or BK....two stellar shows (and my two favorites, oddly enough).

I wasn't enthralled or moved by either BD or Cadets, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I didn't even ENJOY their shows...they're clearly talented. What's your reasoning here? Bias?

I thought they were great. I realy love that piece of music.

I love the cadets...just check my post history about them this season...and agree with you completely...I was just making more of a general observation to HornTeacher's post...

I was up top at Lucas center seat center. My impressions:

Crown- very strong overall effect. I think a magnificent guard makes up for a visual show that's fine but not stellar. They are Crown's visual. I felt brass was very good but heard some issues in first part of show but got stronger as show progressed. The redesigned closer sealed the deal for me. I think we we have our winner Saturday night.

Blue Devils- I like the show very much. They really don't do anything wrong. Music is great, visual is good but certainly no oohs and ahhs. When it's all said and done, I'm not left fulfilled as when Crown finishes. I think BD may pull out a win tonight but I see them 2-3 on Saturday.

Cadets- the black works better at the stadium under the lights with the large black back drop at Lucas. I thought musically Cadets were the tightest. Ensemble demand and performance are a WOW! I felt the guard has cleaned a lot so not as large a liability as it's been but certainly not a section that I'm drawn too. The show effect is really about what and how the members are performing this very demanding show. I see them anywhere from 2-4 Saturday.

Bluecoats- very well designed show. Musically doing some very cool things and visually enjoyable but not seeing the demand being where the other three are but what they do is effective. I thought they were competent but not on fire. This corps with the right performance can place anywhere from 1-4.

SCV- they had some of the best moments of the night both musically and visually. I love their use of electronics. Percussion is amazing, brass is good but honestly, I felt this guard was not really any better then Cadets which have been beaten up all summer. I have SCV in fifth Saturday. This show any other season would be 2-3. Yes, that's how amazing the top five are this year.

Blue Knights- a well written, solid and enjoyable show. Some great effects with the use of the mirrors, enjoyable music and was a 10 minute breath of fresh air since we all know they are comfortably locked in that position so they can just go out and perform.

Phantom- a very powerful performance by them. They have tweaked and cleaned this show and are performing it very well. They really blew me away. This corps took a good show and are just maxing it out. I was very impressed!

Cavies- I never really connected to the concept and design. It's better than it was but they are not pulling me in at all. Some nice drill moments and a better Cavies brass line aside, I can see Madison topping them. (No pun intended).

Madison- I can almost use my Phantom comments here. Another corps that is taking a good show and performing the heck out of it and making it better than it probably is. Really enjoyed the music, visual was pleasing and guard has really improved.

BlueStars- loved their show all season and tonight was no exception. It's interesting and engaging. I would honestly have them over Crossmen and Boston Saturday night.

Boston- I love the colors, the opening few moments are strong, opening brass hit very strong and then it just doesn't go anywhere for me. I want to love them but the show gets lost in itself. Solid captions but surprised at the marching which was sloppy. Lines need to be straight in August.

Crossmen- a pleasant show, performed nicely. Some very nice visual moments and the clouds looked great from up top!

Colts- nice brass and an interesting show. Finally saw the body outline from up top. Very cool.

Overall great shows. Can't believe tonight is semifinals and I'm still not sure what ultimately will happen. That's how tight this season is.

Edited by Tobias