OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Congratulations to the Blue Devils on winning their SEVENTEENTH world championship. Loved the show.

• Like 2

Great shows from top to bottom tonight. A couple of corps were flat from the stands, but didn't effect placements. Devs just had a better run in the judge's eyes, congrats to them on 17.

On judges, it's good that DCI is starting to bring in some new people to judge. The current crop that does Finals week seems to be getting up there in age, replacements will need to be made at some point. Then we can complain about an entirely new set of judge's biases

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 3

I did just that... Got an adapter for my iPad 4, replacing my older computer, and ran HDMI video to my 50", and an audio feed to my studio reference audio system with a powered subwoofer. Not like being at Lucas... But worth every penny. I'll do the DCI Live thing again. I just wish I could go back and watch the shows a few days later in an archive. But I'm not complaining. Worth the C-note!

Nice! :thumbup:

I'm fairly new to subs, I built a 15" sub with a 500 watt amp a few months ago with drum corps in mind, of course. Drum corps does not have much lower bass content in the lower audible octaves (think 120 Hz or less), but I wanted to hear tuba with more oomph, and the sub does help some, but not a lot.

What did surprise me was how much the synthesizers will come through and rattle the sub on the lower end. The same is true with the giant impact bass drums in the pit, they move a lot of air and provide a surprising amount of sub movement.

I've now built a couple of systems around trying to find a great drum corps sound reproducer. The sub is a great place to start, and if you want to hear drum corps LOUD like it is on the field, you will need BIG speakers and/or a lot of amp power. I have found horn driven Klipsch speakers give me that big, live sound. Then buy the championship Blu-ray's for the best audio sound, and you're set.

I just have to make sure the wife and kids are out of the house first before I crank it up. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

Congrats to Blue Devils on their win !!. To all show designers... may I suggest you plan your show for 2016 using the following items..white ladders,white chairs,white poles, white ramps, white platforms, white rifles, white runners. white hoops. Oh and don't forget the contribution to the DCI Judges Retirement Fund. :cool:

• Like 2

The days of clean finals runs are far from over...I witnessed several last night, including the last 4 corps.

If you're look for the days of PERFECT finals runs...let me know when you find one...other than BD 2014.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Congratulations BD on championship #17.

Thank you Bluecoats for giving us the most innovative show I've ever seen! Once again my favorite of the year.

Congratulations Madison Scouts. Don't let this design team get away...welcome back Scott Boerma. You know

how to get that "Madison Sound" better than anyone!

Thank you Troopers!

Thank you Crown for capturing the crowd.

These shows were my personal favorites, but there were at least 20 other fantastic drum corps this year.

The activity is in good hands and doing well!!!

• Like 1

Yes please explain to me how The Rite of Spring and Children Will listen sound similar, I would love your insight.

Easy, in the color of the arranging, the amplified sounds,the percussion writing, the distinct horn sound. When is the last time you heard BD sound delicate?

As an OpenClass parent, I had no real stake in tonight's outcome.

But it does highlight the one aspect of this activity I wish were somehow different - the fact that everything - a whole season, 1000's of hours, and sooo much work comes down to one single performance.

I too have no stake in the outcome, I am just a fan in the seats who has followed drum corps for 40 years. Drum corps sticks to tradition, and sometimes some of them are bad.

For a long time I have been an advocate of recognition for a regular season national champion, and then a "Superbowl" champion. Drum corps is the ONLY national sport/activity I know of that does NOT do this.

This recognition of the regular season champion will never happen because DCI is too taken with "tradition." That's why we have judges on the field running around like a chicken with its head cut off, ruining many visual moments of the show for the fans in the seats. It's ineffective last century thinking.

Tradition.

Edited by wvu80