Boston Crusaders 2016

Check your math - does that mean he was also the youngest Brass Caption Head in 2001 @ 14? Quite a prodigy this guy is.

Huh ? He was brass caption head with a couple of World Class Div. Corps in his mid to late 20's. He Graduated H.S. in 1992. He's either 40 or 41 years old now.

Are there any other World Class Division Corps Directors under 45 ? I don't know the answer to this. Thats why I stated he is one of the youngest, if not THE youngest, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO

Huh ? He was brass caption head with a couple of World Class Div. Corps in his mid to late 20's. He Graduated H.S. in 1992. He's either 40 or 41 years old now.

How do you know this info B? Hope you answer my e-mail question soon. Thanks.

BAC had fewer competitive shows scheduled this year, and one of those was a rainout - while this gives them more time on the practice field (also more time for the designers and staff to make changes), I wonder how much effect this had when they were competing. Does this help or hurt their mental confidence when they're performing?

Boston Crusaders did have fewer shows, especially early in the season, but the also had the Boston Pops performance and the Tanglewood show at the same time. After both of these performances, their show improved steadily. Maybe in the short term, BAC took on too much for the 75th, at least as far as early season in concerned, and perhaps without these events they may have placed a bit higher at finals, but the corps got great publicity, gave the members an unparalleled experience, which if used properly could have long term benefits for recruiting, retaining veterans, etc. also, there have been other years where some corps have had many competitive experiences and the critique has been so many shows kep them from releasing enough and making necessary changes to shows.

I've known Chris Holland for more than 25 years. I believe he is in his early 40's. His history with BAC goes back to the mid-80's. He brings to the table an incredible institutional memory, a significant music educator background, and the unusual but formidable experience of being a Boston attorney. Working with BAC's 30 member BOD and the expansive corporate outreach of Inspire Arts & Music, the pieces are coming together.

Building A Champion.

• Like 1

Are there any other World Class Division Corps Directors under 45 ? I don't know the answer to this. Thats why I stated he is one of the youngest, if not THE youngest, thats all.

The previous executive director at BAC (the one immediately before the one that is being replaced) was a DM during the finalist era, maybe 99-00. He was DCI director of the year in 2011, which would have made him around 30 at the time - not sure when he became director.

• Like 2

Thomas Spataro became the BAC Executive Director just prior to the 2008 season. I think he might have been 29 at the time, but I think I also remember him telling me that David Glasgow of the Bluecoats was about the same age, and that the two of them were the youngest directors in DCI at that time.

Boston Crusaders did have fewer shows, especially early in the season, but the also had the Boston Pops performance and the Tanglewood show at the same time. After both of these performances, their show improved steadily. Maybe in the short term, BAC took on too much for the 75th, at least as far as early season in concerned, and perhaps without these events they may have placed a bit higher at finals, but the corps got great publicity, gave the members an unparalleled experience, which if used properly could have long term benefits for recruiting, retaining veterans, etc. also, there have been other years where some corps have had many competitive experiences and the critique has been so many shows kep them from releasing enough and making necessary changes to shows.

You raise excellent points and yet skirt the fundamental question. Is drum corps only about competition and what the 10 green shirts say on a given August night?

Maybe if one is from Concord, California.

But looking at the philosophies of several of the other and long time players in DCI, I have to agree that Boston's admin gave their members a phenomenal summer that highlighted other and just as venerable aspects of the activity. Can you imagine the interviewer's face when Aidan answers in the job interview, "Well yes, I did co-direct with Keith Lockhart before thousands of people!!!" And the same for the other 149 members of BAC '15.

Phantom the last two seasons has taken great pride in forming a phamily from so many rookies primarily from states where schools and communities are small and sometimes isolated. Their end of season videos, narrarated by their phenomenal conductor, have highlighted this unity and the great work ethic that forged improvement from first contest to finals. So too was Boston's experience.

Cadets, Coats, and Crown all go home winners in the eyes of thousands who were entertained, saw phenomenal shows performed with excellence, and attempted difficult shows in varied yet creative ways. So too Crusaders whose passion from the first drumbeats on the stage through the haunting ballad to the final gasp (would all the banners drop properly tonite?)

Concord's philosophy might work well there and with their judging connections.

But you rightly cite that milestones of other success [particularly given some of the struggles of the Boston corps and organization over the decades] deserve full attention and vigor.

• Like 2