Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Our high school used SCV 1989's exact arrangements except transcribed for woodwinds (had a watered down drum break and completely cut out the part right after the drum break). Some high schools are capable of tackling grade 6 music, doesn't mean they do it well. not to mention drill was greatly simplified.

Edited by Cappybara

Taken in the context of its time, the instrumentation, the lack of support available from the percussion section (no mallet instruments), I would offer up 1973 Argonne Rebels as being right up there in difficulty. That show was 5-10 years ahead of its time.

Certainly the brass book!

How exactly was Brass rated at that time? Or more properly, how were "Bugles" rated, since that's how From The Pressbox lists that caption?

I see that despite finishing eleventh overall in Finals, the Rebels were second in Bugles. But Bugles #1 and #2, whose scores are averaged to account for half of that caption's total, only had them in sixth and fifth place, respectively. It's in "Music Analysis" that they're ranked second, which is enough to pull their overall rating for the caption to second. Nowadays Musical Analysis takes into account both brass and percussion, right? But to judge from the way From the Pressbox lists it, back then it was part of the Bugles caption. Is that right, or am I just misunderstanding the sheet?

Well that was exhausting. Kudos for winning brass with not only the running while doing runs, but maintaining the wonderful dynamic ranges and balance they had while spread out with their expansive drill patterns. They should have called their show "GAME ON" because that show was about athleticism.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

The change in key was pretty gradual though. If I remember right, the addition of F horns came on before the switch away from G, and not all corps switched to Bb horns in 2000. The last World Class corps to do so was Pioneer, and they didn't change until 2007. I think Madison held on as well until 2004.

You are correct about not all corps switching to Bb immediately, and to be fair, I only got to a few shows that year, and I can only say two for certain because I recall seeing Boston Crusaders early in the season and being blown away seeing them later. I didn't see every corps that year, but the corps I did see had very different sounds and if you watch the 1999 Legacy DVD and 200 championship DVD, the change is pretty evident. A complete turnover did take time, but there was enough of a change early on that was very noticeable.

The change in key was pretty gradual though. If I remember right, the addition of F horns came on before the switch away from G, and not all corps switched to Bb horns in 2000. The last World Class corps to do so was Pioneer, and they didn't change until 2007. I think Madison held on as well until 2004.

Corps switched directly from a G line to a Bb/F line. Cadets and Blue Devils did in 2000, with more and more corps following suit the following years.

Corps switched directly from a G line to a Bb/F line. Cadets and Blue Devils did in 2000, with more and more corps following suit the following years.

As I recall, corps were allowed to switch one section per year (sops, alto, low brass), or was that just done by some corps to spread out the cost over several years?

You are correct about not all corps switching to Bb immediately, and to be fair, I only got to a few shows that year, and I can only say two for certain because I recall seeing Boston Crusaders early in the season and being blown away seeing them later. I didn't see every corps that year, but the corps I did see had very different sounds and if you watch the 1999 Legacy DVD and 200 championship DVD, the change is pretty evident. A complete turnover did take time, but there was enough of a change early on that was very noticeable.

Maybe so. Blue Devils and Cadets were the only ones to switch over in 2000, I believe the rest of the Top 12 followed by 2003 or 2004.