DCI Suggestion Box

I have (had) the $99 DCI live package. During the streaming season, I watched every performance by Blue Devils, and most of everyone's every performance. Last night, I felt I was watching INK for the first time. Suddenly I was watching INK, but seeing it with a Felliniesque tint........ that corps morphed before me........ such passion.....even in the faces !!!!

I absolutely LOVED Ink! I felt the story at such an emotional level and it was all so fresh and amazing!! That's what I feel a big part of GE is. How fresh and new the show feels even if it's your second or fifth or twentieth time seeing it.

• Like 1

Garfield:

To me the issue is how you judge GE.

I don't know how its defined by DCI,but as I understand it,its the overall impact of a performance.

You cannot duplicate the impression you get from any entertainment event the first time you see it.

In Drum Corps this is has more of an impact if a GE judge doesn't like certain changes made to a corps' show over the season.

To me,its along the lines of the Oscar voters viewing various "cuts" of a movie rather then the finished product.

A corps' Finals score is supposed to be independent of what they did previously in the season.

Therefore I think the GE should be judged based on an initial viewing of he show.

Wow, a succinct and well-crafted statement. Worth pondering, and I appreciate your viewpoint.

I'm no judge, but I think of my 40 years of watching shows and remember the number of times I was completed bedazzled by my first viewing of shows. I didn't understand many, and that surely wasn't a fair view. Even early season shows that are just a formations of their final expressions are astounding works of art and performance. For as long as I've been watching, I've been just amazed and gobsmacked by my first viewings. Many of my first viewing were at finals in those years, and I came to love and appreciate shows that I didn't enjoy at all on finals night.

I remind that your notion is that judges should be barred from viewing, not judging, for weeks prior to their finals week judging. I think that the best finals judges have the benefit to include the growth and progress of a corps throughout the season. The ability to adapt, make changes, mold the product to lay down the best in August.

Unlike Broadway, drum corps is not about putting the same great performance on night after night from opening night. Drum corps is about progress. Improvement. Adaptation. Rising to the competitive challenge. The marching members growing, getting better all season long before our eyes.

To me, recognition of from where the young snots came when viewing their last performance, if applied to all corps, is perfectly acceptable.

In my perfect world anyway...

I'm sure Crown will win finals night sometime without winning previously...

Are people really trying to change the way the champion is determined and make it multiple nights?

Why not include all the regionals scores then?

Perhaps, the simple change would be to stop averaging captions over the 3 nights of Indy, and make the final night THE night of scoring for captions and overall..period. Of course, the remaining issue is the judging panel selection for that night.

Can we have a non-electronics division? Half the sound coming off the field anymore is controlled by some fat guy sitting in the stands. I want to hear wind+muscle, not electrons+paper cones.

If we don't have a non-electronics division, at ,east require that those controlling the sound are marching members of the corps. The entire performance should be the responsibility of those in the corps and that includes electronics. Depending on how current the technology is, they may be better able to manage it than the adults.

While I'm at it, photographers from the corps should not be allowed so close to the corps while competing. If you notice the DCW photographers and those from DCI stand at a good distance and get great shots. They also stand still, good photographic posture, and the move their lens more than they move around. They also usually walk and try to be unobtrusive. Some, not all, but some corps photographers run all around, have body posture like they are on a safari, and can be a distraction. If they use a DSLR with a good zoom lens with a range of 59-300mm, they can get great shots from the track and perhaps even the stands.

• Like 1

If that forces BD to play something entertaining to the crowd, would that be a bad thing? I found BD's show as incomprehensible as their placement. A cultural stream-of-consciousness soup, performed clean as a whistle - meh. Am I just too simple-minded to appreciate BD, or are all the other shows too simplistic to compete? The idea of other corps going that way in order to compete and having to watch an entire evening of super-sophisticated Dada is not appealing. What the audience thinks should matter at least a little.

to answer your question yes. Where do you think a large portion of the instructors come from? take a guess.

I remind that your notion is that judges should be barred from viewing, not judging, for weeks prior to their finals week judging. I think that the best finals judges have the benefit to include the growth and progress of a corps throughout the season. The ability to adapt, make changes, mold the product to lay down the best in August.

In my perfect world anyway...

If people think that judges are biased towards a corps when judges both see and judge corps prior to finals, it would only get worse if a judge did not see a corps throughout the season, or at least I think it would. Judges need to know what they are evaluating. I know in skating, judges often visit practices, although based on what friends have told me about skating, it's hardly unbiased.

Just a thought (if that) here. If we want consistency and we want to reduce the impact of anomalous judgments and eliminate big swings for differences in panels:

Why not double the number of judges for a show and have those same judges judge all three nights.

It seems like a lot of folks want to reverse engineer the judging "problem". People look at how things shook out then figure out what change would make Crown the champion. If Crown wins title #2, I imagine there would be nearly no complaining about judging.

This is the equivalent of me wanting to change the rules of baseball, because my beloved Cincinnati Reds are having a down year. I understand that the Reds need to do things differently. I'm not arguing that the team with the hardest throwing relief pitcher be given wins. That's not how baseball works.

I really, really, really liked Crown this year. If they would have won, I would have been cool with that. They didn't win, and BD won. I'm cool with that too. There is nothing wrong with the system. It works. Lets put our brainpower together to fix the copyright issues. That's something worth trying to get sorted out.

Z

• Like 5