Phantom Regiment 2016

Now if the program coordinator will get out of the way and let the design team do something new and innovative.

So, did you hate Dan this much when the corps was consistent top 5?????? He was part of all those shows too.

I'm really excited by this news. Dwight and Tony have proven themselves over and over again to be very competent in their fields. Tony, if Marie were alive today she'd be thrilled with this news. She thought the world of you. Dwight, can't wait to see confidence return to the corps' marching style.

Welcome back gentlemen.

SUTA

• Like 4

Apparently they weren't paying attention last year to Phantom doing something new.

Apparently they weren't paying attention last year to Phantom doing something new.

You can't possibly be saying 2015 was new and innovative. Look at the musical rep alone, I'd hardly call that new or innovative.

• Like 1

The style for them was something very new, do you deny this?!! Personally I would take a good solid show and music over "bleeding on the edge". Phantom should be Phantom on steroids and quit trying to be everything to everyone like some corps try and do. Do what you do well and very well and the chips will fall in place. So far I am actually looking forward to this next year, like I do every year. I tend not to prejudge before seeing the product. All the naysayers last year were just ridiculous on saying how bad they were. Apparently myself (most others), and the judges, thought otherwise. I won't say it's the best show they have ever done, but it was nowhere near the calamity some tried to make it and hang Dan from the nearest tree with it. Seems like a common meme here by some and I'm not getting it, or they simply don't understand how the organization is run and by whom. Ignorance and fear seem to go hand in hand I suppose.

• Like 3

you're really serious aren't you
  • Like 1

In '14 I had high hopes with Swan Lake...that was right up their alley (thinking '08). Don't think many corps could pull it off like Phantom could....but it was forgettable.

In '15 I had high hopes with the Paris theme...that was right up their alley (thinking '05), again. But again, it was forgettable.

This is obviously not the Phantom of the past that could have made a run at a title with these programs.

• Like 1

We need another "into the light".

When they announced that show I thought WTF but it was amazing, fresh & innovative!

• Like 3

We need another "into the light".

When they announced that show I thought WTF but it was amazing, fresh & innovative!

Into the Light has made it onto my top 10 most played shows!

And they had Myron "The Mad Scientist" Rosander doing the drill, yes? Watch the show on fast forward sometime - it's amazing to see the gradual progression across the field. Of course, sometimes he out-writes the ensemble (Madison 2006, Phantom 2010) but I don't care - I'll watch any of his shows anytime.

I hate to say it, but Swan Lake to me really *was* forgettable. Even the uniform switch didn't really do a lot to rescue it, especially as the music didn't change along with it. It took me all summer, but I really did get into City of Lights by Finals. Phantom occasionally throws out lighter-themed shows, and it just took them a bit to find their groove.

I mentioned this a few months ago, but I feel Phantom really needs to expand their wheelhouse of repertoires. (Don't start with "romantic music only" - they ditched that a long time ago.) Carolina Crown's E=mc2 - why couldn't Philip Glass have been a Phantom program? How about all John Adams, who isn't unfamiliar to Phantom? Heck, Crown even managed to out-Phantom Phantom this summer with Inferno - spiritually, it wasn't that dissimilar to Faust.

I love me some Phantom every year, but I root for them to get out of their rut. (And I also root for them to go back to the "classic" Phantom jackets, the 1989-90 / 1993-4 / 2003-5 ones...) Maybe some new faces in the staff lineups will help with that.

Mike

• Like 1