2016 Rule Congress proposals

In other fields, I've encountered this expression: a difference that makes no difference is no difference at all. Or it might be asked: are you really achieving anything worth caring about if it's only noticeable by someone a few feet away from you?

yes. to you a buzz roll may be a buzz roll. to percussionists, a buzz roll that grows in volume can be ###### hard to maintain over several counts on the fly, or trickier yet, if it slowly converts to an open roll.

you will also notice a corps director proposed the removal of judges from the field to the sidelines.....one whose weakest captions can be those field sheets.

that said, if music ensemble isn't split into 2, i do think there is an argument to moving brass upstairs, but it's not proposed.

let's be realistic....most brass and visual judges tend to stay outside the forms. this is all about the drum guys.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

How about no field level judges then? All from the box?

Well, what underlies my question is this: what is the purpose of drum corps, and of the drums in drum corps? Is it to perform very well for an audience of ten thousand or for an audience of one? Other artistic endeavors also have tastemakers; we call them critics, but it's not like a theater or orchestra critic gets to walk around the stage and listen to the actors or musicians up close to make fine distinctions.

Are you really achieving anything worth caring about if it's only noticeable by someone a few feet away from you?

Yes. To you, a buzz roll may be a buzz roll. To percussionists, a buzz roll that grows in volume can be ###### hard to maintain over several counts on the fly, or trickier yet, if it slowly converts to an open roll.

Just because something is difficult doesn't mean it's important.

Just because something is difficult doesn't mean it's important.

to percussionists it can be both. Just because a brass line can hold a chord out for 20 counts and get louder doesnt mean its important right?

except when Crown does it, everyone including judges lose their ####, and when anyone else does it they get accused of copying crown.

whats important to one caption doesnt have to be important to another. thats the beauty of the system. if each judge judges their sheet independent of name, overall rank etc, the chips fly where they may. Thats why Crown won with a not good battery. its why this past summer ensemble visual cost them the win.

In the context of this thread, demand is in the sheets. So it is important. Not exclusive, but it matters.

If I'm interested I taking this into "the state of drum corps" territory, I'll take that to another thread. But I'm probably not interested in that. :D

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

yes. to you a buzz roll may be a buzz roll. to percussionists, a buzz roll that grows in volume can be ###### hard to maintain over several counts on the fly, or trickier yet, if it slowly converts to an open roll.

you will also notice a corps director proposed the removal of judges from the field to the sidelines.....one whose weakest captions can be those field sheets.

that said, if music ensemble isn't split into 2, i do think there is an argument to moving brass upstairs, but it's not proposed.

let's be realistic....most brass and visual judges tend to stay outside the forms. this is all about the drum guys.

At least their is an argument to be made for taking the judges off the field (even if I don't agree with it).

I don't see any argument for letting people blast their Dr. Beat in warm up.

I am however, in favor of a front sideline percussion judge, I feel like that'd FINALLY account for somewhat of a front ensemble judge. ...

I, too, think a front ensemble judge would be of value. Having a judge in front would eliminate the percussion field judge from figuring out when to leave the field and review the pit. Sometimes there's things missed or credit not given depending on where the judge is situated - especially earlier in the season when judges are still familiarizing themselves with the show.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

7 - Relocate all Field Judges to Front Sideline - Absolutely YES.

This is the best DCI rule change proposal in the 21st century for the safety of the performers. One hundred percent YES get the judges off the field. I have been a DCI fan since 1980 and I am not stuck in the past.

Please make this change NOW.

Either you like #7 because it keeps people safe, or you dislike #7 because it prevents captions from being judged properly. Perhaps there can be a compromise?