Any lock for Top 3?

I believe Academy will prove you wrong.

I would really love to see Academy break into finals. I love their show this year. I think 13th is very possible, as they are better at this point than Colts or Troopers. Just not sure they are going to be able to knock off Boston, Crossmen or Blue Stars this season. I would love to see some shakeups in this grouping. But I do think there will be plenty of shakeups at the top this year. including Cavies possibly making top 3.

Sure, BD is a lock to get a medal - if you like safe bets, it's been more than a decade since that one would have been wrong. Probability: 99%

What about the others?

Crown: 80%. There's too much good here, esp. the brass and the guard, for them to finish much lower than 3rd.

Bluecoats: 65%. This is a really forward-looking show and one that DCI collectively loves. If they can max out the performance, it's hard to imagine them not getting a medal, even if it's a last minute 3rd place like Tilt.

SCV: 35%. I was really impressed with this show over the weekend, it's a fantastic design and the strongest product from their current staff. They could win percussion and be top 3 in guard. If the GE judges reward it, a medal is in reach for them.

Cadets: 15%. They've had a rougher start than the other top groups. It's easy to imagine them winning percussion, but what other captions could they take? I think even if the storyline and visuals clean up a lot, there are more compelling shows that are going to get the GE numbers.

Cavaliers: 5%. A group that doesn't win any captions probably isn't going to win any medals.

Rest of field: 1%. There are some good shows here, but I don't see why the judges would prefer them to the ones presently scoring higher.

My dream outcome would be something like

1. Bluecoats

2. Crown

3. SCV

Likelihood of it happening? 0.001%!

• Like 1

Too early. BD and 2 others....

This. At the beginning of any drum corps season, until proved otherwise, I would put my money on BD winning or at least medaling vs. the rest of the field.

Sure, BD is a lock to get a medal - if you like safe bets, it's been more than a decade since that one would have been wrong. Probability: 99%

What about the others?

Crown: 80%. There's too much good here, esp. the brass and the guard, for them to finish much lower than 3rd.

Bluecoats: 65%. This is a really forward-looking show and one that DCI collectively loves. If they can max out the performance, it's hard to imagine them not getting a medal, even if it's a last minute 3rd place like Tilt.

SCV: 35%. I was really impressed with this show over the weekend, it's a fantastic design and the strongest product from their current staff. They could win percussion and be top 3 in guard. If the GE judges reward it, a medal is in reach for them.

Cadets: 15%. They've had a rougher start than the other top groups. It's easy to imagine them winning percussion, but what other captions could they take? I think even if the storyline and visuals clean up a lot, there are more compelling shows that are going to get the GE numbers.

Cavaliers: 5%. A group that doesn't win any captions probably isn't going to win any medals.

Rest of field: 1%. There are some good shows here, but I don't see why the judges would prefer them to the ones presently scoring higher.

My dream outcome would be something like

1. Bluecoats

2. Crown

3. SCV

Likelihood of it happening? 0.001%!

Cavs at 5%?

Bluecoats and Cadets in 2014 didn't win any captions but medaled and scv won percussion that year but didn't medal.

Having strong captions overall is more important.

• Like 1

If we're doing percents...

BD: 99.9999999%

Crown: 80%

Bluecoats: 65%

Vanguard: 35%

Cadets: 35%

Cavaliers: 10%

Rest: 0.000001%

From what I have seen and heard to date, and JMO:

Brass: Crown, BD, Cadets, Bluecoats, SCV, Phantom, Madison, BK, Cavaliers

Percussion: SCV, Cadets, Bluecoats, Devils, Cavaliers, Crown, Phantom, BK, Madison

Visual Ex: BD, Crown, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Cadets, SCV, Phantom(simplified and less demanding than some), Madison, BK (not a full product yet)

Visual Guard: Crown, BD, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV, Cavaliers, Cadets (tough book but dirty), Madison, BK

Visual GE: Bluecoats, BD, Crown, SCV, Cadets, Cavaliers, Madison, Phantom, BK

Music GE: Bluecoats, Crown, BD, Cadets, SCV, Madison, Phantom, Cavaliers, BK

This is mostly just a guess if all 9 of these corps were to meet head to head today.

BD is a 100% lock. Absolutely. Zero doubt.

yeah - I would BET on it. But it is not a lock.

If there were only 2 possible corps (in early June) possible of beating them (not likely, possible) then I'd say there's "lock" status

Lock means it is certain to happen. And while it is highly likely, it is not a lock

So...

My guess on odds of medal at this early date

BD 85% << not 100% so not a likely, but highly likely; 8 or 9 out of 10 years

Crown 75%

Coats 75%

Cadets 30%

SCV 20%

BK 5%

Cavaliers 5%

Just a guess!