Cadets 2017

From what I understood, you were addressing the question of if change was necessary in drum corps, or if the activity could have remained static and survived. My argument is that change is absolutely necessary in all art forms. Without adaptation and evolution, you wouldn't have many of the treasured works that are considered classics today. So, yes, there will always be value in celebrating the art of the past. But, things must move forward to survive.

I agree..but not all change is necessarily progressive...

• Like 2

From what I understood, you were addressing the question of if change was necessary in drum corps, or if the activity could have remained static and survived.

No.. I did not make the assertion that I believe the activity ( your words ) " could have remained static and survived." As a matter of fact, I have said on here on more than one occasion that there has never been a period in the Drum Corps activity ( either pre DCI, or DCI ) where things have remained static. There has always been great changes. No activity in the youth competitive realm has had the levels of change that Drum & Bugle Corps have had the last half a century in my view. I can't think at the moment of any that has been as transformational as the Drum & Bugle Corps genre has been. So the notion of the lack of change, or slow change, has never been an issue in Drum Corps in the least. Not from where I sit and observe, anyway. I would not know what " static " is, in Drum & Bugle Corps, as I have never seen it occur at any time the last half of century to even begin to assess it. So " remaining static " in the Drum & Bugle Corps genre is an entirely foreign and unfamiliar terrain for me.

Edited by BRASSO

Yep, I never suggested there is any data on this. And you raise a great point towards the end of your post, but I'd argue that breaking ranks has become a lot more of the norm now than it was back when you marched. Overall I agree that there will be kids attracted to the Cadets as always, I'm just saying that it's possible that as the whole "outwardly clap and show appreciation for a corps" becomes more common in a generation that emphasizes showing off to each other (have you seen younger people post on FB and insta? Lol), the talent pool for the cadets may become more limited. That's just my theory, it's okay if you disagree.

I also just wanna say that this isn't really a huge deal, retreat is only 1 day of a long season. It's just something to talk about in a dull offseason, and I don't really find the practice of wishing staff to leave a corps to be very enticing.

This is not directed at you Capybara, although I'm mystified why so many posters really seem to feel that this is a topic worthy of discussion. The impression I get reading these many related posts is that the way The Cadets conduct themselves on retreat is an affront to other corps by denying The Cadets the opportunity to mingle and socialize on-the-field, and might conceivably affect their recruiting efforts at some point in the future.

While I do not challenge the sincerity of the posters who have added their opinions on this topic, I have to admit that my reaction to it is why any of you care how The Cadets care to conduct themselves during formal retreats?

Obviously not too many of you have ever observed the socializing that goes on in the tunnel once the corps leave the field. I can assure you that there is a lot of inter-corps hugging, conversations, taking photos of mixed groups of different corps. In other words there is a heck of lot of socializing going on, and The Cadets are right in the middle of it. They are formal in situations where formality is called for, and totally loose and relaxed with their many friends (and new friends) from other corps. Furthermore there are also inter-corps mixes on-the-road when the situation permits. Corps mix and match meals from other corps. I recall in-depth social exchanges, both planned and unplanned, between The Blue Coats, The Cavaliers, The Blue Devils, and others. So you can put to bed all your concerns that The Cadets traditions are an obstacle to complete immersion in the drum corps social scene. They are not. And, as far as recruiting goes, you would be amazed how many young people choose The Cadets solely because of their history, their traditions, the aura that surrounds the second oldest continuously active corps in America (Racine Scouts are first). They might be attracted by the uniforms, the evident pride of the corps members, the work ethic, the general knowledge that you learn a lot more life-lessons with The Cadets than anywhere else. I could go on, but I think you probably get the idea. The Cadets appreciate the concerns of some of the posters on DCP regarding the "differences" that are emblematic of The Cadets from other corps, and the possible long-term effect of those differences, but we assure you that you have no reason for concern, either now, or down the road.

• Like 1

This is not directed at you Capybara, although I'm mystified why so many posters really seem to feel that this is a topic worthy of discussion. The impression I get reading these many related posts is that the way The Cadets conduct themselves on retreat is an affront to other corps by denying The Cadets the opportunity to mingle and socialize on-the-field, and might conceivably affect their recruiting efforts at some point in the future.

While I do not challenge the sincerity of the posters who have added their opinions on this topic, I have to admit that my reaction to it is why any of you care how The Cadets care to conduct themselves during formal retreats?

Obviously not too many of you have ever observed the socializing that goes on in the tunnel once the corps leave the field. I can assure you that there is a lot of inter-corps hugging, conversations, taking photos of mixed groups of different corps. In other words there is a heck of lot of socializing going on, and The Cadets are right in the middle of it. They are formal in situations where formality is called for, and totally loose and relaxed with their many friends (and new friends) from other corps. Furthermore there are also inter-corps mixes on-the-road when the situation permits. Corps mix and match meals from other corps. I recall in-depth social exchanges, both planned and unplanned, between The Blue Coats, The Cavaliers, The Blue Devils, and others. So you can put to bed all your concerns that The Cadets traditions are an obstacle to complete immersion in the drum corps social scene. They are not. And, as far as recruiting goes, you would be amazed how many young people choose The Cadets solely because of their history, their traditions, the aura that surrounds the second oldest continuously active corps in America (Racine Scouts are first). They might be attracted by the uniforms, the evident pride of the corps members, the work ethic, the general knowledge that you learn a lot more life-lessons with The Cadets than anywhere else. I could go on, but I think you probably get the idea. The Cadets appreciate the concerns of some of the posters on DCP regarding the "differences" that are emblematic of The Cadets from other corps, and the possible long-term effect of those differences, but we assure you that you have no reason for concern, either now, or down the road.

Most of us care because...drum corps. That's all. And this is DCP.

Are you the Official Cadets representative here on DCP? I don't see anything in your bio. Perhaps you could clear up more of the rumors floating around here by setting us all straight about, oh, staff changes and lunch menus?

/sarcasm

And, as far as recruiting goes, you would be amazed how many young people choose The Cadets solely because of their history, their traditions, the aura that surrounds the second oldest continuously active corps in America (Racine Scouts are first).

How can Racine Scouts be the oldest continuously active corps when they just took the 2016 season off?

• Like 1

While I do not challenge the sincerity of the posters who have added their opinions on this topic, I have to admit that my reaction to it is why any of you care how The Cadets care to conduct themselves during formal retreats?sations, taking photos of mixed groups of different corps. In other words there is a heck of lot of socializing going on, and The Cadets are right in the middle of it. They are formal in situations where formality is called for, and totally loose and relaxed with their many friends (and new friends) from other corps. Furthermore there are also inter-corps mixes on-the-road when the situation permits. Corps mix and match meals from other corps. I recall in-depth social exchanges, both planned and unplanned, between The Blue Coats, The Cavaliers, The Blue Devils, and others. So you can put to bed all your concerns that The Cadets traditions are an obstacle to complete immersion in the drum corps social scene. They are not. And, as far as recruiting goes, you would be amazed how many young people choose The Cadets solely because of their history, their traditions, the aura that surrounds the second oldest continuously active corps in America (Racine Scouts are first). They might be attracted by the uniforms, the evident pride of the corps members, the work ethic, the general knowledge that you learn a lot more life-lessons with The Cadets than anywhere else. I could go on, but I think you probably get the idea. The Cadets appreciate the concerns of some of the posters on DCP regarding the "differences" that are emblematic of The Cadets from other corps, and the possible long-term effect of those differences, but we assure you that you have no reason for concern, either now, or down the road.

I care that retreat occurs without incidents that disrupt the peace and goodwill that exists between corps. I was briefly interested back when the retreat behavior of Cavaliers was questioned (tossing Jolly Ranchers, for example). So I am briefly interested now, when a corps best known for moving "beyond tradition" clings to a tradition regarding retreat protocol while their peers do not.

I asked a question, and received a satisfying answer. So I am not concerned... except when people suggest that this topic not even be questioned in the first place.

I love The Cadets, but I think the serious vibe they portray in retreat is the least of their worries this off season.

Edited by tommynev
  • Like 4

Just saw Hop shared some modern dance videos on his Facebook with the line "I need to start watching more modern dance"

....?

Did you watch the video? I'm pretty sure it was tongue in check. The troops opening move was the wave opening move for BD this year

• Like 1

Just saw Hop shared some modern dance videos on his Facebook with the line "I need to start watching more modern dance"

....?

Yet but how much weight can he really lose in the off-season with that sort of exercise program???

• Like 1